Airport Extreme and 3rd Party 802.11g

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by MorganX, Feb 18, 2003.

1. MorganX macrumors 6502a

MorganX

Is anyone using an Airport Extreme card with a non-Apple 802.11g router or access point? If so, how is it working for you. I just got an AE card today (before my iMac) and am surprised that Apple doesn't mention 802.11g at all. Stating it will ONLY work at highest speed with Airport Extreme.

Hoping this is because at time of label printing no none else had 802.11g draft devices.

2. seamuskrat macrumors 6502a

seamuskrat

I have the joys of a mixed network with many brands, including Dlink, Apple and LinkSys.

In a nutshell, with WEP off all play nicely with zero hassle. With WEP on, third party cards work fine with APE basestation, BUT APE cards are hard to get going on the thirdparty basestations cause you have to enter passwords in Hexadecimal.
    In the end its all doable, but can be a pain and is not plug and Forget as an all Apple solution is.

3. timbloom macrumors 6502a

timbloom

If it is a .11g access point, you should be able to connect to it just fine. There is no reason that It shouldn't work at 54Mbps. If you could fill us in later on what your results are, we would all appreciate it.

4. filipp macrumors regular

I have asked a salesman a very same question, he said that AE base station will work just fine with any other 11g-device.

but then again, what do salesmen know? :rolleyes:

/ filipp

5. MorganX thread starter macrumors 6502a

MorganX

Setup iMac last night. Gave it a static IP.

Airport found default Linksys network. Browsed to router IP, configured. All set. Changed SSID and channel. Clicked Airport icon in menu bar, selected other network. Entered new SSID. Airport scanned all channels found new SSID, in business.

I'd have to say setting up the new Linksys router and Mac was pleasingly simple and quick. This is one area that is clearly superior on the Mac and ease of use outweighs cpu performance. I was very impressed that it scanned all channels. Haven't had a PC wireless driver yet that will do this. Very sweet.

Unfortunately, the firmware update utility would launch but would not load the firmware from the Mac. Had to update the router firmware from my PC. No biggie.

6. jaguarx macrumors regular

there have been some issues with incompatabilities between draft .11g hardware, but noone has a list of what works with what - they have not released it.