Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iJon

macrumors 604
Original poster
Feb 7, 2002
Well we finally got our cards in today (bout time Apple). We brought it and slapped it in her new PowerMac. Thought I would show you guys some pictures. If you guys are like me, you are curious to know the size. its hard to tell because Apple makes it seem so big on the webpage, but here you guys go.

iJon

Attachments

• airport.jpg
    airport.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 388

kenkooler

macrumors regular
Jan 2, 2002
Mexico City
Wow, i always thought they were bigger than the old airport cards.
They even changed the font from the <10.1 look to the jaguar one.

benixau

macrumors 65816
Oct 9, 2002
Sydney, Australia
WOW! those look nice. wonder if apple wil ever let the older Airport machines use extreme?

ok, i guess the answer is NO. why? cause it is an incentive to get a new mac isnt it :rolleyes:

iJon

macrumors 604
Original poster
Feb 7, 2002
Originally posted by benixau
WOW! those look nice. wonder if apple wil ever let the older Airport machines use extreme?

ok, i guess the answer is NO. why? cause it is an incentive to get a new mac isnt it :rolleyes:
or maybe because its a whole new form factor and cant fit into the old computers. doesn't that make more sense. does it really matter, people have already started selling 3rd party 802.11g products for older machines.

iJon

alset

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2002
East Bay, CA
Thanks for posting that. I though the new cards would be MUCH larger after seeing picts on Apple's page. This is a pleasant surprise.

As for using these new cards in existing machines, I would think it could be used with an adapter, seeing as it's small enough to allow extra space for a translating component add-on. The reason I don't expect to see this comes down to throughput of old Airport connections. I don't suppose Apple designed them with something like this in mind.

Does anyone know the technical specs on old Airport connections?

Dan

projectParanoia

macrumors newbie
Feb 7, 2003
Amd Alchemy Chips

AMD's Alchemy Am1772 Wireless LAN Chipset is awfully similar in size to Apple's Airport Extreme card.

Could Apple be using AMD's chipsets?

Alchemy does have an enhanced wireless reciever and future feature support through firmware update.

It's a possibility, I should say ;).

janey

macrumors 603
Dec 20, 2002
sunny los angeles
judging from the size of the airport extreme card from pics @ mwsf and other various places I was expecting the card to be bigger than the original airport card and never realized that i can pull apart my 17" alubook to take a peek...WOW it's small!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.