Airport extreme and cable modem

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by russed, Aug 30, 2006.

1. russed macrumors 68000

russed

hi,

last night i got my cable broadband set up (from blueyonder - seems quite fast so far). anyway, i tried to sed up my wireless network with it using my airport extreme. having tested the connection while wired up - it all works fine, so i plugged the modem into the AEBS changed the settings to what they should be (or so i think) and then nothing happens. what i think are the right settings are telling the AEBS that it will connect to the internet via the ethernet and it will configure itself with DCHP (just like it says you should tell your computer to do when connected to the modem directly). I even tried the PPP over ethernet setting in the AEBS with my used name etc (which i shouldn't need to use) and still no luck! as far as i understand you can have more than one MAC address on this connection (as i have read that some only allow one and i have also tried different compters all which work individually).

i have also tried connecting a plain old 3com wired router between the modem and the AEBS with still no luck. im at a loss and its rather annoying to have to sit wired up to read the internet when not used to it! please help!

any ideas? i have read on the internet about restarting the modem once connected to everthing else and that didnt work also!

if it helps i have a seperate modem (not the set top box) and its a scientific atlanta webstar 100.

oh and if i dont reply till tomorrow night, im not being rude, im just away on a course but thanks for your help till then (hint hint :))

2. russed thread starter macrumors 68000

russed

3. Bear macrumors G3

1) try shutting down your cable modem (by removing power if necessary) for 5 minutes.

2) Make sure your Airport Extreme is set to "Distribute IP addresses" and also set to "share a single ip address. (Network Tab)

3) If your Airport Express is set to use DHCP, you can verify it got it's address by seeing what comes up in the internet tab. If there is greyed out information, this means it got something from the cable modem and should be working.

4. russed thread starter macrumors 68000

russed

thanks for your help. my settings were exactly as you said they should be and i did what you said and still nothing. any more ideas?