Airport Extreme and MS Wireless Base Station

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Jeff Max, Jul 7, 2004.

1. Jeff Max macrumors newbie

After many years of dithering I have finally made the leap to a Mac. Why did I wait so long??
    I have a home wireless network which runs on a Microsoft Wireless Base Station MN-500 which has up-to-date software running.
    My problem is that my Airport Extreme card connects happily if WEP is disabled but does not connect if either 64-bit or 128-bit encryption is running.
    I have tried changing my base station channel from the default 6 down to 1 and right back through to 11 but the Airport Extreme will only connect if WEP is disabled.
    I cannot find any help through the FAQs. Can anyone offer assistance as, though I like my neighbours I do not want to give them access to my network and then my computer files.

2. LeeTom macrumors 68000

LeeTom

One problem with WEP encryption is that different compaines use different algorithms to turn your "password" into the HEX code for the WEP encryption. The solution is to write down the long hex code (i.e.: F902AB6E....) that is set on your MS access point, and type it into your Mac when it asks for the password. Be sure to choose WEP 40/128-bit hex as the password type when you enter it in.

Hope that helps,
    Lee Tom

3. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

In addition to LeeTom's reply above, you may have to enter a "$" or "#" in front of that cryptic hex key. I have to do that with my iBook (Airport regular) on a Netgear router.

4. Jeff Max thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the suggestions. I will give it a try. :)