Airport Extreme and War Driving

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by medicinehead, Feb 9, 2003.

1. medicinehead macrumors newbie

Feb 8, 2003
    Southern Illinois
    Anyone know if any or all of the war driving apps like MacStumbler and KisMac still work with the new Airport Extreme cards?
  2. DreaminDirector macrumors 6502a

Sep 3, 2002
    Ladera Ranch, CA

Why wouldn't they? Don't it just work off of the strength of the wireless signal? I dunno, that's just my guess, so I could be way off....
  3. medicinehead thread starter macrumors newbie

Feb 8, 2003
    Southern Illinois
    Not sure about KisMac

I'm thinking most apps will work but KisMac unloads Apple's Airport card drivers and loads a FreeBSD ORiNOCO compatible driver that results in longer ranges and abilitity to monitor "hidden" SSIDs.

Since the old Apple Airport cards are only ORiNOCO gold cards, what chipset are the new Extreme cards based on?!

Is it a Linksys chipset? (Rumor I'm hearing)???

This is the program I use most and I'm ready to upgrade my dual-USB iBook and can't decide between an iBook 800MHz with my old Airport card or a new 12" PB with a Airport Extreme card.

Any feedback will be greatly appreciated! :)
  4. benixau macrumors 65816

Oct 9, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    do you need the G4?
    do you need to file transfer >10MB wirelessly?
    do you need bluetooth?
    do you need a SD?
    do you need to connect to an ADC monitor?

if you answered yes to two or more of those then get the pb if you can afford it. it will suit you better.

PS!!!! if you said yes to the last one then you really dont have a truely portable + viable option excpet the pb.