Airport Extreme and wired Network

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by DAVE2158, Jun 27, 2005.

1. DAVE2158 macrumors newbie

Oct 15, 2004
    new york
    Hope this makes scents I have a G4 iBOOK that I want to hookup to and airport and also keep the other machine in my house a G4 and a dell running XP harded wire. I have a linksys router BEFSR41 that at this time all the computers are hooked up. I have tryed to setup the airport my DSL modem in the Ethernet (WAN) of the airport and then a CAT5 cable from the airport LAN port to the WAN port of the router I have also tryed ports 1 and 2 on the router nothing worked. Ihope this isn't Confusing and I need help with mess . PS the G4 and PC don't have Wirless cards. :confused:
  2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

Jan 9, 2004
    Grand Rapids, MI, USA
    How much two-way communication do you need? Which computers need to see the others on the network, or do they all need to see each other? I think the cleanest way would be to have the wired router upstream of the airport -- then the two wired computers are already visible to the iBook because they have unique upstream IP addresses.

Your setup sounds right -- your wired router has a WAN port and four LAN ports, right? And your AEBS is connected to one, with your two desktops on two others of the four, right? That is basically correct.

Did you try running airport setup assistant after plugging it in that way?

The only tricky thing I can think of is that you should probably not have both routers use the same virtual addressing -- that is, if one of them assigns addresses off of 192.168.x.x, the other should use 10.0.x.x. Otherwise, it could get confusing, because for the downstream router, the assigned IP address upstream will look like a downstream address that it thinks it should be assigning....

I had a Linksys wired router with two wired computers on it and an AEBS with my iBook configured this way, though, and I did not have trouble, so I'm sure it's *possible*.
  3. aussie_geek macrumors 65816

Apr 19, 2004
    Sydney Australia
    Sounds like you want to have the Airport as a wireless access point. You say that all of the comps are hard wired at the moment. All you need to do is hook the Airport into a free port on your router (use the WAN port on the Airport). The iBook will now be connected to the wired network and vice-versa.

Use Airport Setup assistant to configure the Airport.

In summary it should look like the:

dsl modem --> router. Router port 1 - comp 1. Router port 2 -- comp 2. Router port 3 --> Airport WAN port. iBook - Connected to Network via Airport.

Hope this helps,