Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jazz1

Contributor
Original poster
Aug 19, 2002
Mid-West USA
I've got an 'N" not the new dual with a 500GB USB HD hooked up. If I put my movies on it how can I view them on my computer? I still want to keep my music on my local desktop, I just want a way to view the movies stored on the remote USB drive. Therefore I don't want to change the location of my entire media library that iTunes uses.

Any ideas?

GimmeSlack12

macrumors 603
Apr 29, 2005
San Francisco
Connect to the Airport HDD and then make an 'alias' and put it in your movies folder. Then you can use Front Row to access that drive and watch movies from it. I am not sure how the frame rate would be on playback, would be rather curious to hear about your experience (though an N router should be pretty quick).

jazz1

Contributor
Original poster
Aug 19, 2002
Mid-West USA
Connect to the Airport HDD and then make an 'alias' and put it in your movies folder. Then you can use Front Row to access that drive and watch movies from it. I am not sure how the frame rate would be on playback, would be rather curious to hear about your experience (though an N router should be pretty quick).

Thank you so much! I will give it a go and report back. I may had to drop an ethernet cable if that doesn't work well.

azdunerat

macrumors regular
Feb 11, 2009
I have my external 2tb lacie drive connected to my AEBS(old version) and use plex to watch all of my movies on any of my computers in my house regardless of where I am. Never had a problem with drop outs or stuttering and playback has been perfect. Let me know if you have any questions.

GimmeSlack12

macrumors 603
Apr 29, 2005
San Francisco
I have my external 2tb lacie drive connected to my AEBS(old version) and use plex to watch all of my movies on any of my computers in my house regardless of where I am. Never had a problem with drop outs or stuttering and playback has been perfect. Let me know if you have any questions.

I don't know why I never thought of taking my own advice. I have a 1Tb connected to my Mini media machine and have just put an alias in my iMac's movies folder. Duh!

osplo

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2008

But do you mean standard .avis or HD .mkv files also? Did you try 1080p? Is wifi N that fast?

Thanks!

azdunerat

macrumors regular
Feb 11, 2009
The highest I have tried was a 720p .mkv rip I pulled off of the bay. Not sure if it was really that high of a frame rate but it played it just fine. Plex does have a nice buffer cache so that probably helps quite a bit.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.