Airport Extreme B.S. signal strength is B.S.

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by solidgoldmini, Sep 17, 2004.

1. solidgoldmini macrumors regular

Hello all!

First let me say, I've done searches already for Airport Extreme signal problems, but I honestly didn't find anything that was helpful.
    Now here's my problem. I bought an Airport Extreme Base Station back in May '04. When I got it home, we set it up, everything was cool, except for the signal strength. Holding it up to our G5, eMac, and cube all produced, at best, 2 bars of signal strength. It's in the same room as the computers, literally on a thin wood shelf right above them, and signal strength is still only two bars at most. We purchased a Dr. Bott OmniAir Antenna, the one that's supposed to extend the signal in all directions, and hooking that up does absolutely nothing. Well, we lived with it, thinking that that was just the way it was. (Still unhappy, mind you.) But the clincher came this past weekend. We purchased an Airport Express, thinking we could use it to extend the network to the other side of the house where the stereo is. We couldn't even get the Airport Extreme BS to get a signal around the corner, not a few feet away. Now, I know you're probably thinking, yeah, but they might have 4' thick solid steel walls, and that's why. But, ah ha! You'd be mistaken. We plugged the Airport Express in where the Airport BS had been, and we can get a signal just from that throughout the entire house, including upstairs. Now it's obvious that something is amiss with the BS. Does anyone have any ideas? Genius Bar? Will they send it away for repairs, or are there any tests or fixes? We have all the latest software for everything, OS X 10.3.5, latest Airport software. There's no microwave nearby, no portable phones, no NASA radiation testing being done next door. The nearest Apple store is 1 hour away, so if anyone has any ideas, they would be greatly appreciated.
    (Sorry for the long winded post.)

solidgoldmini

2. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

If you're not getting decent reception when your base station is extremely close to your computer I'd certainly say it's broken. The *only* thing I can say is to make sure in the Airport Admin utility that the signal strength hasn't been lowered... I seriously doubt it is but it could be a solution...

3. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

Have you tried re-setting the Base Station?

4. N10248 macrumors 6502a

N10248

It sounds like its faulty - may have been roughly handled before you got it
    You should get a signal equal to this:

and my base is about 25 feet away going thru 2 walls and a ceiling to an imac on a steel desk.

Take it back and get a nice new one

Bye

5. solidgoldmini thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks everyone. I tried resetting, still nothing. And the transmitter power is at 100%. I'm definitely not getting the kind of reception that N10248 is getting, but I am from our Airport Express. I guess it's off to the Apple Store for some Genius Bar, and hopefully, service attention. Thanks again!

6. nbaker756 macrumors member

antenna problems

our airport had good reception and then one day, we could go only 5 feet and the signal would go dead. we brought it tp the apple store and it ended up being a lose antenna cable inside the unti. had apple care so it got fixed for free

7. Laslo Panaflex macrumors 65816

Laslo Panaflex

Yes, at work here we got tons of ibook g4s and installed AE ourselves. We were getting horrible reception, like you are describing. The problem was that the cable that connected the AE card to the antena inside the ibook was not conected all the way, although is seemed so. We had to use a small flat head to secure the antena to the card, we couldn't do it with our fingers.

If you installed the cards yourself, make sure it it securely connected. If you didn't install the card, make sure the connections are secure.

Good luck.