Airport Extreme Base Ethernet port not working

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Reflow, Jan 4, 2007.

1. Reflow macrumors 68000

Reflow

Just as the title says my airport extreme Ethernet port stopped working. A few days ago I had to reset it to get the wireless to work. Now all of a sudden it keeps coming up with the Ethernet cable unplugged in the utility. It is on version V5 which is the newest firmware so now I’m lost on if this thing is broken or not. I did replace the cable with a new one just to make sure the cable wasn’t bad. Anybody have any suggestions on how I can fix this or is it just broke

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

3. Reflow thread starter macrumors 68000

Reflow

It's V5.7 which is the newest one I think

4. Kodex macrumors member

Contact applecare or a genius bar to set up testing and repair if needed.

5. Cybix macrumors 6502a

Cybix

The first thing I would do, would be to change the ethernet cable, with a different one.... start simple!

6. Reflow thread starter macrumors 68000

Reflow

Well I bought it off of eBay a few years back. So I don't think there is any apple care on it

7. Reflow thread starter macrumors 68000

Reflow

If you read the post I did do that. So thanks :D

8. Kodex macrumors member

Bring it in to a Genius Bar, they will troubleshoot it for free and let you know what kind of repairs you need. Since you have already replaced the cat5 cable the chances of it being anything else external are slim.

9. Reflow thread starter macrumors 68000

Reflow

Yea, That's what I thought. I really don't want to make an appointment on if I already know it's broken. Just wondering if anyone had any similar problems like this or anyway I can fix it myself

10. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I've never had this problem specifically, but I know sometimes a bit of cool-off and time out can help a base station get back to normal. If possible, leave it unplugged overnight and see if it's better in the morning. It can't hurt. Otherwise I agree, it's probably in need of a technician. :)

11. Cybix macrumors 6502a

Cybix

oops, my apologies, I should look before I leap!

best of luck with it. Wouldn't mind an 'extreme' myself... getting shocking reception with the 'express' in some parts of my place. Maybe another express or two will do it..

12. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Cybix, the Express and Extreme have the same broadcast power as each other so replacing your Express would do nothing, but getting an additional Express/Extreme and connecting them through WDS would definitely help. It's very easy to do. :)

13. Reflow thread starter macrumors 68000

Reflow

Well I let is sit for a few days and still not working. I guess all is well since I just bought one of a member here :D