Airport Extreme Base Station Changes Tuesday?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Old Smuggler, Sep 10, 2006.

1. Old Smuggler macrumors 6502a

Old Smuggler

I was adding some stuff to my apple cart and it asked if i needed anything else and i noticed the Airport Extreme Base Station was delayed 1-3 weeks on shipping
    what changes are being made to this item?
    is it streaming for video tuesday?
    or is it just part of the mercury changeover that was noted with the isight reffering to european laws ?

it has to be something because who buys these things? they cant be in high demand right now

dont get me wrong i own one, and i would buy another one for my living room
    but everyone i talked to allways bought the Airport Express cuz its cheaper

whats your thoughts?

2. thewhitehart macrumors 6502a

thewhitehart

Perhaps it is the mercury. I'd imagine that the video airport device will be an 'express' model, not the 'extreme' model.

I can't see why they'd make a major release out of the airport extreme, unless the extreme has video streaming capabilities.

3. aswitcher macrumors 603

aswitcher

Agreed. But the thing is Apple will be keen to lead the way with new tech. Why release a G airport when they can release an N or even HDMI special config and introduce new tech.

Thats my hope.

4. Old Smuggler thread starter macrumors 6502a

Old Smuggler

Wait a minute sonny let me get my spectacles...hmm you have a point and a very good one at that ;)

5. Stridder44 macrumors 68040

Stridder44

HAWT

6. ricgnzlzcr macrumors 6502a

ricgnzlzcr

All I want is video streaming capabilities. I would buy that the day it came out! Well the lady would since it's my birthday this month!

7. Old Smuggler thread starter macrumors 6502a

Old Smuggler

Well makes sense, since there was talk about the 5 ghz wifi that only macbooks could hook up to at wwdc
    i wonder if Mac pro's will be able to use this?

8. aswitcher macrumors 603

aswitcher

:) Lets hope Steves on this wave length as well.

9. aswitcher macrumors 603

aswitcher

Now saying Mid-November....Mmm. I really need a new WAP and I would prefer the AExtreme if it dropped a bit and got airtunes.

10. NJuul macrumors 6502

Streaming video...
    Didn't Steve recently call that device iTV, with a scheduled release sometime early 2007...

It's probably just the mercury thingy.

11. aswitcher macrumors 603

aswitcher

Nah, thats for video. They still need base stations for commercial and pro wireless access.

It would be nice to have a modem that can be used to fax from and an optical/audio out, on the base station.

Maybe MIMO tech as well.

I thought that was a European problem, not a USA???

12. Josias macrumors 68000

Josias

The AirPort Extreme base Station is removed from the Danish Store. The AirPort Express is still there though.

13. aswitcher macrumors 603

aswitcher

Mercury maybe?

14. Dreadnought macrumors 68020

Dreadnought

Guys think about it:
    The Airports are going to get a speedbump. First of all the iTV. Ever streamed a DVD from one Mac to the other using Airport/WIFI. It works, but with a lot of hickups. Second the new Mac Pro's. There isn't yet an upgrade kit for Airport Extreme card for a Mac Pro. Also are they delayed when ordering one. And now third, you get a waiting list for a base station...

15. LeMarsu macrumors newbie

LeMarsu

I too hope that there will be an new Airport Extreme Base Station..
    One that includes functionality like ADSL/DSL or ADSL2 modem!

Seeing that the new "iTV" sounds like an new Airport Express.... if you take the words for the description on Airport Express and change them you have the iTV

Taking the text from http://www.apple.com/airportexpress/ and doing some changes:

Presenting AirPort Express/iTV.
    Featuring AirTunes/AirTV for playing your iTunes music/movies wirelessly on your home stereo or powered speakers/TV, AirPort Express/iTV brings not only the Internet but your music /movies to wherever in your home you like to enjoy them most....

So I think the Airport Extreme Base Station is due for a change.... an may be released at the same time at the new "iTV"