Airport Extreme Base Station Comparisons

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by TheFallGuy, Dec 3, 2003.

1. TheFallGuy macrumors member

Aug 20, 2003
    Hi All,

I've made the switch to the macs and I love them. I have the 15" Aluminum Powerbook (with Airport Extreme) and it is so beautiful, and easy to use. I don't think I'll ever go back to using a PC.

Anyway, to my point. I want to get an Airport Extreme Base Station for Christmas (I need to make the decision in the next few days) and I'm a little confused with the two models that apple is offering.

Airport without antenna and modem

And Airport with antenna and modem

I don't understand the differences between the two other than the fact that they have these options and that the one with is $50 more. What do these mean? Right now all I want to do is hook into an existing line that is coming into a different router (my roommates) or whatever and make my room wireless.

In the future I want to run cable or whatever (in UT they want to bring Fiber optics to the cities and stuff) directly into my house/apt and then make that wireless so I can use it anywhere there.

The $50 is not a big deal if that is one of your questions to me. Can you help me understand which one would be best to get, and what the differences are and mean? Thanks!!!
  2. thehuncamunca macrumors 6502

Jul 9, 2003
    the antenna port allows you to plug in an antenna to extend the range of your base station, the modem port will allow you to share a modem connection wirelessly
  3. TheFallGuy thread starter macrumors member

Aug 20, 2003
    So is that all that I get for the $50. The ability to plug it into a telephone outlet and do a dial-up that way? (And add some range to my wireless connection)? I'm not trying to be negative in any way, I'm just trying to figure this out, and I'm being really slow about this.

Thanks for your time.
  4. kanker macrumors 6502

Nov 13, 2003
    Yes, it's $50 for an antenna port and the ability to use its internal dialup modem. If you're using high speed in a limited area, it ain't worth the extra bread.