Airport Extreme Base Station Dumb Buy?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by rugger, Oct 21, 2004.

1. rugger macrumors newbie

I probably came at this all backwards. I bought an Airport Express to serve as a range extender for my Netgear b network (MR814) and to play iTunes on the music system. The plan was to upgrade the router to g standard and I was looking at the Netgear WGT624. Then I read enough to be dangerous and learned The AX doesn't work well with Netgear in terms of acting as a range extender. So last night I ordered an Airport Extreme Base Station to replace the netgear router. I also got an Airport extreme card for my iMac (dome model) which was previously connected to the router by ethernet. Today in this site and others I learned that the Linksys router with some tweaking can handle the WDS that AX needs.

My question to this august forum is: Aside from the cost hit (mollified a bit by educational pricing) and the loss of 3 ethernet ports, is the Airport Extreme Base Station inferior to the Lynksys in performance or range? Part of my thinking was that all Apple might be simpler. [Also in the mix are two older Apples connected into the network via Netgear powerline ethernet adapters]

I also couldn't find any info on possible updates for the AEBS. New model around the corner?

Thanks for any insights before I open the shipment.

2. mowogg macrumors 6502

mowogg

It should be just as good

I don't think there will be any performance difference between them. One benefit of the Airport is not having to use a web interface for set up. Also, the Airport will bridge AppleTalk between wired & wireless, so you can use some older ethernet equiped Apple Laserwriters (I have a 630 pro that works gangbusters with Airport Extreme from my iBook).
    You can add a 4 port ethernet hub for under $20 (right, spend more money!) I don't know why Apple doesn't include more ports on the Airport basestation. I'd rather have that than a modem.