airport extreme base station - printer/scanner question

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by The Stig, Feb 7, 2007.

1. The Stig macrumors 6502a

The Stig

Question:

I've ordering an airport extreme base station and it is on it's way. I know it works with printers, but I'm looking into buy a all-in-one printer with a scanner. Will the scanner work through airport extreme base station like the printer does? I don't really care much about all the other features, I just want it to print and scan a picture or text if over wireless. Has anybody tried this or know know if it will work?

Thanks,

The Stig

2. The Stig thread starter macrumors 6502a

The Stig

3. biturbomunkie macrumors 6502a

not sure about the new a/p extreme, but i know a/p express doesn't support any all-in-one printers at all. however, you can find most all-in-one drivers that will work w/ a/p at linuxprinting.org/macosx. alternatively, you might also be able to use gimp print.

4. The Stig thread starter macrumors 6502a

The Stig

Has anybody tried this in their airport extreme base station??

5. iW00t macrumors 68040

iW00t

I can assure you with 100% certainty that it wouldn't work.

My Epson R250 can't be shared through Bonjour somehow, I'd be very surprised to see your scanner work as well :(

6. The Stig thread starter macrumors 6502a

The Stig

:(

Oh well. I didn't think so. . . It was more of a hopefuly thing. It isn't a big deal, if I was using the scanner I'd be standing by it anyway (I have a MB) so I could just plug the damn thing in. Just wishful thinking.

I just got a 500gb lacie mini (the usb and firewire). It should go sweet with the base station!

The Stig

7. Dreadnought macrumors 68020

Dreadnought

Apple has a thing against all in one devices/printer/scanner/copier. I have seen only a few that have a driver for os X.

8. volvoben macrumors 6502

Drivers are definitely the key, I thought all 3in1 printers were incapable of network printing, but I gave it a shot at my parent's house on their windows network, and all i had to do on the remote computer was 'add new printer', the 3in1 showed up, i clicked on it, it installed drivers, and it works just as any other printer does over the network, even shows ink levels.

Too bad no one bothers with mac drivers.

9. skybolt macrumors 6502a

Maybe I'm missing something in the original question, but -- we have a Brother all in one (MFC3240C) and I print wirelessly to it all the time via my Airport base station. My husband prints wired to his PC to the same printer. Brother provided the appropriate drivers to make it go wireless for me. Now, scanning is another story. This one won't scan wirelessly (it's kind of old), but Brother makes new ones that will scan wirelessly -- you can tell because their model numbers end in N (for networking) or W (for wireless).

Is this what you are looking for? Or am I off base as to what the question was?

10. r6girl Administrator/Editor

r6girl

Staff Member

not sure what your price range is for the all-in-one printer, but i recently got an hp 7410 all-in-one and it will print and scan over wireless via it's own built-in wifi. hp includes some hefty software to let you scan, print, make copies, and fax right from your mac (it includes pc software as well - useful for my husband and his old, crappy dell laptop, although he can't get it to print wirelessly and has to use a usb cable).

you set up the 7410 to connect to your existing wireless network (i use an airport express base station), so the 7410 is across the room and is not connected via usb to the base station.

it's an expensive printer, but it's working well for us - i love the duplex printing (few trees killed!) and it's really nice having a copier in the house. found the best deal through staples when they had a special of $75 off that model. the cnet reviews make it sound horrible, but i've always had great experiences with hp printers. i have an hp laserjet that i got in 1998 and it still runs like a champ...

11. mmcxiiad macrumors 6502

as a general rule:

when you set up a MFP to be shared on a network, regardless of what you are sharing it from and sharing it to, you will get limited functionality. printing should work fine, although the features related to the scanner, almost definitly, will NOT work. the exception is if the printer has a built in network scanner functionality. but don't expect that in anything on the cheap.

This is not a apple caused problem, nor could they provide a solution without working directly with the manufacturer to write a custom tcp/ip twain driver for the scanner and then integrated that protocol into the AEBS (in which case i would sumize that it would no longer be under $200).