Airport Extreme Base Station w/ Modem, Worth It?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by zflauaus, Jul 29, 2005.

1. zflauaus macrumors 65816

When I get my iBook sometime in the month of August, I am looking at buying the Airport Extreme Base Station with modem. I need the modem input because I live in the country and DSL availability ended about a 1 mile from my house. I was wondering if the Airport Extreme Base Station is worth it or not? If not, what other alternatives do I have, excluding the WiFlyer? Thanks for the info.

2. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

Well, if you want wifi, go for it.
    When the DSL company eventually moves that one more mile (that must just be killing you!), you can use the same base station for your DSL.

Umm... Go for it? :)

I'm not sure about other modem wifi bases, Sorry. :(

3. zflauaus thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks for the info kate ta achoo! I already have a WiFi network and my PC is sharing the connection, but it is awefully slow on my other computers. It is killing me so much and I know exactly where the "TelCo" station is in my town, a.k.a. the place where my phone line meets the phone company. I read a review on that WiFlyer and the reception is crap. For fifty bucks more I get better signal strength, and the Apple branding! :D Anyways, thanks again!

4. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

Well, it'll still be slow (dial up)

Can't argue with the Apple Branding , though, haha!

/will be at HQ 2 weeks from now buying apple-branded stuff.

5. zflauaus thread starter macrumors 65816

Yes I know it will still be slow but at least I don't have to have my loud PC on to use as a server.

6. Cuckoo macrumors 6502

I've got three airport extreme stations, and i fully agree on the apple brand thingy <yeah, i know, irrational> but never the less, the AE basestations don't have the world's best reception.... average at best in my opinion. They work flawlessly, and configuring and maintainance is a breeze, but reception isn't they strongest suit.....

7. Rod Rod macrumors 68020

Rod Rod

If you live within a mile or two (line-of-sight) of a home or business that has DSL and an open wireless network, just build or buy a high-gain directional antenna to receive the signal. Since you're out in the country maybe you can mount the antenna on top of a windmill or barn.

http://www.seattlewireless.net/index.cgi/AntennaHowTo

http://www.oreillynet.com/cs/weblog/view/wlg/448

http://www.alternativewireless.com/cellular-antennas/yagi.html

8. zflauaus thread starter macrumors 65816

Actually, I don't live on a farm. I live in the woods, surrounded by lots and lots of trees. My town doesn't have any WiFi connections that I know of. Oh well. The Airport is now optional.

9. Rod Rod macrumors 68020

Rod Rod

Oh well. . . anyway, congratulations on being close to your goal in saving up for the iBook!

Incidentally, I live in an urban area and I can "see" 15 or 16 wireless networks from my place, and two or three of them are open.

10. zflauaus thread starter macrumors 65816

Maybe I'll just have to go scouting when I get my new iBook! :D :D