Airport Extreme Base Station with MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by kevincharles999, Feb 8, 2007.

1. kevincharles999 macrumors newbie

Ok, I'm new to the Wireless environment with Mac, so please forgive me.
    If I buy the new 17" MacBook Pro, do I need to get the AirPort Extreme Base Station to enable me to surf wirelessly? It says it has built in AirPort Extreme wireless networking, but doesn't explain how to set it up. It seems like I need the AirPort Extreme Base Station as well. Am I correct in that assumption?

Thanks!

2. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

Nope, you do not need the AE Base station... your MBP's built in Airport Extreme will allow you to pickup on wifi in the vicinity. Including other brands of routers...

3. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Apple airport extreme in their laptops and desktops is just normal wifi

It will work with ANY wireless router, you do not need to buy an apple branded wireless router.

lol. devilot got there first :)

4. kevincharles999 thread starter macrumors newbie

But just to run wireless in my home/apartment, I would need the base station correct? Just not when I'm out at Starbucks or something. Sorry if I sound stupid.

5. bigbossbmb macrumors 68000

bigbossbmb

yes, if you don't have a wireless router already, then you will need to buy one to connect to the internet wirelessly at home.

6. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

Don't worry about it...

You could get the Airport Extreme Base Station, but other cheaper wireless routers would also work. It's up to you to decide if the features and other aspects of the AE Base Station make it worth the extra $$$.

7. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

If its your first wireless router and you only have the one computer your connecting an Airport Express would probably be a better option if you wa t to save a bit of $