Airport Extreme Base Station

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Synapple, Feb 20, 2006.

1. Synapple macrumors regular

Mar 29, 2004
    Rome, Italy
    Hey all,

warning: very stupid question below.

Background: more than a year ago I purchased an airport extreme base station with dial-up modem.
    I didn't have a mac at that time but wanted to use it with my wireless-card equipped Vaio laptop.
    When I set it up, I couldn't possibly make it work... I was busy busy busy at that time and didn't have enough time to check where the problem would reside. I tend to think it was a hardware problem, though, hopefully on that crappy PC.

Now, in view of buying a Mac Book in the next future, I was thinking of taking the airport extreme back from the dusted shelf it's currently resting on and, before doing anything else, I need to know: is there any sign of life the base is supposed to give when turned on?
    I mean, I remember I couldn't make out whether the base was working or not because there wasn't a led, a light, a sound, a buzz, or anything else showing something was happening in it!
    Is that how the base is supposed to work, or should I see/hear something and my airport extreme was just DOA?

Thanks for any help!
  2. AppleMatt macrumors 68000

Mar 17, 2003
    The middle light should light up (white).