Airport Extreme Base Station

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by fossicker, Jul 23, 2004.

1. fossicker macrumors newbie

Jul 2, 2004
    Background: Last fall when I bought my ibook I bought an inexpensive 802.11g wireless router to handle wireless on the ibook and wired connections for my desktop and work computer. I've had problems with dropped wireless connections, tried a variety of things to keep it up, tried another brand, same problem.

Just got an airport express for hooking up to my stereo, and the router can't handle it -- can't play music from my ibook to the stereo at all (plays for 2 seconds before the connection drops), playing from the desktop is ok as long as I don't try to access the internet from the ibook at the same time.

A friend lent me his AEBS, and it works perfectly, even playing music from the desktop through itunes on the ibook to the airport express hooked up to the stereo.

So I'm seriously thinking about getting an AEBS, since I know it works and I'm tired of messing around. But I'm afraid that if I do, there will be a new model released shortly afterwards.

The buying guide doesn't list the Airport Base Stations, but checking one of the history pages makes me think it's "due" -- but then, the Airport Express (AEBS "mini") might push back any changes to the AEBS in the same way that the ipod mini pushed back the updates to the 3G ipods.

The only thing I can think of for a feature that might be in an updated AEBS is a USB port for an external hard drive, which would be cool to have.

2. jsw Moderator emeritus

Mar 16, 2004
    Andover, MA
    Well, they recently dropped the top-of-the line price down to $199, and removed the previous "low end" one, so, even if another one comes out, I think this one has a fair amount going for it. USB2.0/Firewire HD connection would be nice, but I wouldn't expect to see it.
  3. mikeyredk macrumors 65816

Mar 13, 2003