Airport Extreme Base - Why so expensive?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by friendlyghost, Sep 17, 2003.

1. macrumors member

Sep 29, 2002
    I'm in the midst of switching and am also going to pick up a new Wifi base station. I figured I would buy an Airport Extreme base station as well, but the prices seem sort of crazy.

Of the two models, the cheaper is $200. I can get a Linksys Wifi base station that supports both b and g for about $100. I realize the apple one is easier to setup, but what gives?

I've worked with the linksys ones before, so I'm comfortable with them, but I don't understand why apple isn't being competitive here.

I do want to give them kudos for the most expensive model since I really haven't seen anyone integrate an old-school modem before. Still, the price is pretty nuts for that too.
  2. macrumors 68000

May 18, 2003
    There are only two advantages to the Airport base stations... one is being about to share a modem connection easily... if you need that (which most people don't).

The other is wireless bridging... so you can easily connect base stations together.

I don't need either, so I use a netgear 802.11g access point, which is MUCH cheaper ($80 new about) and has faster performance according to CNET.

I'll buy an Apple Tower and Apple DVD-Rs... but that's it. No studio displays, airports, or other expensive accessories... Well, maybe the pro speakers... they look cool (with an iFire of course).
  3. macrumors regular

Nov 13, 2002
    Oakland, California
    I have an Airport extreme Base Station and I love it even though I'm using a Tibook for now, I have found one of the most usefull advantages to be wireless printing or print sharing. I have the more expensive model with the built in modem (which I don't need because I have DSL) and external antenna port, it also has a usb port that makes virtually any usb printer print wireless. I think the cheaper model has usb too.:D