Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jadex

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 9, 2005
Houston, Tx, USA
I just bought my 12" PB (my first mac!) a week ago. However, I have not been able to connect to the internet AT ALL. This is what I posted on macosx.com, and have also explained to the AOL, Apple, and Linksys tech support people (gah!!!):

I just bought my 12" PowerBook (with Airport Extreme wireless card, using "Tiger" OS X) about a week ago. Ever since I brought it home, I have not been able to access the Internet at all. At home, I have a cable line connected to a Linksys WRT54G router, to which one desktop computer (PC) is connected to by wire. My PB (as well as my previous laptop) are the only wireless computers on the network.

At first, I thought that maybe something was wrong with either the router, the computer, or our ISP (AOL). After calling all three (who blamed each other), I got nowhere, although the Linksys tech support gave me extra DNS server numbers - which did nothing but aggravate the process.

After doing more research, I found that many people have had the same problem with accessing the Internet on the WRT54G router. I have heard many ways to try and fix the process and have tried some, but have not been able to do it correctly (I still cannot access the Internet or sign on to AOL).

Here are the settings on the router and the Airport Extreme wireless card as of right now:

Linksys WRT54G router:
Connection type: DHCP (Automatic Config.) - *Note: I have heard that AOL uses PPPoE for this setting instead, but upon using this setting, the PC desktop computer that is wired to the router would not sign on to AOL.
Wireless - network mode - mixed
all default
security - WPA Pre-Shared Key, TKIP
MAC filter enabled (have entered Airport MAC ID)
UPnP - enabled (heard this worked, too, but don't know exactly what it does)

Airport Extreme wireless card:
- is connected to our home network, with the WPA key enabled
- AOL for Mac OS X says that to enable this connection to work, a TCP/IP connection must be established and then modified to include the cable modem. however, upon signing on, AOL cannot seem to recoginze or connect to the TCP/IP connection.

If anyone can shed some light as to how this should work, and what I need to change, it would be appreciated.
---------------------------------------------------

I looked this up on the 'net, and I see that a lot of people have this problem. What gives?

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park
You need to use PPPoE. In the router setup, select PPPoE and type any screen name (I think you have to include the @aol.com) and password. Your router will connect to aol, not you computers. Make sure your router is set up to give out ip addresses (dhcp). Make sure you computers receive ip addresses through dhcp. You should not be able to open Safari, IE, or any other browser and get internet. If you want to use aol, you have to sign on with another screen name (you cannot use the one in the router). Don't sign on to aol by DSL, rather use a Lan or TCP Connection.

jadex

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 9, 2005
Houston, Tx, USA
how do i make it so that the router gives and the computer recieves IP addresses? I thought that's what it's been doing...I've switched to the PPPoE, but to no avail. And the Airport Extreme card has even stopped recognizing the network ... :confused:

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park
Bibulous said:
try 1-800-275-2273 for technical assistance
Some how I doubt Apple is going to give support for AOL Broadband.

jadex said:
how do i make it so that the router gives and the computer recieves IP addresses? I thought that's what it's been doing...I've switched to the PPPoE, but to no avail. And the Airport Extreme card has even stopped recognizing the network ... :confused:
You want you LAN to be DHCP. That will make the router give out IP addresses to your computers.
You want your WAN to be PPPoE. That will make the router connect to the internet though the modem by way of PPPoE.

Hope this helps. Keep me informed. :)

jadex

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 9, 2005
Houston, Tx, USA
grapes911 said:
You want you LAN to be DHCP. That will make the router give out IP addresses to your computers.
You want your WAN to be PPPoE. That will make the router connect to the internet though the modem by way of PPPoE.

Thanks for the help. I'm still a little confused, though. I know my computer probably calls these different things...

My router homepage has the very first option as "internet connection type" - this is set to DHCP, as the PPPoE will not let *anyone* on the Internet. Is this my LAN connection, then?

The WAN, on the other hand...where do I find the options for that internet connection type? Should they be on the router page, or on the PowerBook? I don't see any sort of option leading to that anywhere on the router page, though...

***And yes, bibulous, I have called AppleCare. Very helpful in diagnosing the problem, but as it wasn't with their product, couldn't help me much. :rolleyes:

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park
jadex said:
My router homepage has the very first option as "internet connection type" - this is set to DHCP, as the PPPoE will not let *anyone* on the Internet. Is this my LAN connection, then?
This is the WAN. Set this to PPPoE (remember to enter name and password)

Also, in the advance setting for the connection change the mtu to manual and 1400.

Rod Rod

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2003
Las Vegas, NV
Onizuka said:
Linksys=Suck for mac
I had a WRT54G for a couple of years which connected an all-Mac home network, both wired and wireless. It worked great until (I think) a capacitor blew out. I didn't have it on a surge protector, so that might have killed it.

fuzzai

macrumors member
Nov 24, 2004
Canada
if your router is up and working, and your PC can get on the internet, have you tried to connect your PB via network cable to the router to see if you can get on the internet?

I know when i first got my mac, i could not get the Wireless to work at allll

took me some time to finaly get it to work. however my internet did work if it was plugged.

jadex

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 9, 2005
Houston, Tx, USA
Again, thanks for the suggestions.

Phat_Pat, for some reason my router won't complete the firmware upgrade. I have never upgraded it since I've had it (about 2 years)...and it says that the upgrading program is "unable to connect to the server". Have no idea what *that* means... :confused:

fuzzai, I have tried to connect the PB directly to the cable modem (that's the advice I was given when I went to macosx.com), but it did not help any. AOL is, I think, a gateway that I absolutely cannot bypass...the internet never works if I can't get on AOL on *any* computer, mac or PC. I would get rid of it, but as it wasn't my decision to have it, I'll have to wait until the others decide to get rid of it. Which will probably be never, as the PC works fine with it.

Is there anyone who has AOL on a mac out there who can explain exactly what *should* be going on, maybe?

It makes me very sad, as this is my very *first* mac and I'm having problems, and I depend on the internet for work...I may have to send the mac back, if push comes to shove. That means I have one week to beat the 14-day return policy :( *frustration!*

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park
jadex said:
Is there anyone who has AOL on a mac out there who can explain exactly what *should* be going on, maybe?
I've been trying :eek: . I told you what should be going on. I have the same router. I had AOL up until 4 months ago. I had the router and aol working perfect.

Let's try this again from the beginning this time.

Set up the Mac
1. Go to System Preferences.
2. Select Network
3. Show --> Airport
4. Select the Airport Tab (it's probably already selected)
5. Change By Default, join to automatic
6. Select the TCP/IP tab
7. Change Configure IPv4 to Using DHCP
8. Apply Now
9. Close System Preferences

Time to configure the router (this may be slightly different if you have a difference firmware version):
1. Connect the modem to the internet port.
2. Reset the router -- press the Reset button for 10 seconds and then release it.
3. Use a web browser to go to 192.168.1.1
4. Go to Setup --> Basic Setup
5. Select PPPoE from the drop down menu
6. Enter a user name and include the "@aol.com"
7. Enter the password associated with that account.
8. Select keep alive and enter 30 seconds.
9. Change MTU to manual and enter 1400.
10. Make sure DHCP Server is Enabled
11. Press Save Changes.

Test it out:
1. Open a web browser (NOT AOL) on the Mac
2. Go to a web site
3. Pray it connects.

This is exactly how I got it to work for me. Assuming it works, I can tell you how to set up your pc. I can even tell you how to then setup AOL.

As I re-read this before I hit submit, I realize this sounds very basic. Sorry if I went into too much detail. I mean no insult.

cashmoney

macrumors member
Jun 3, 2005
hi, I have AOL for Broadband, and I found out that it does NOT work for macs. Only AOL dial up does. I called AOL then Apple, then AOL, then Apple, only to find out that the third time I called, they said AOL broadband is not compatible with macs and they then told me to get roadrunner or eathlink instead. So, the crap PC that I have, I use that to sign on to AOL and my powermac just sits there... :mad: Trust me, it has nothing to do with your computer or router...it's just AOL. And even though "AOL for mac" has this, broadband option, that can only be accessed if you "BYOI". sorry...The truth hurts. :(

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park
cashmoney said:
hi, I have AOL for Broadband, and I found out that it does NOT work for macs. Only AOL dial up does. I called AOL then Apple, then AOL, then Apple, only to find out that the third time I called, they said AOL broadband is not compatible with macs and they then told me to get roadrunner or eathlink instead. So, the crap PC that I have, I use that to sign on to AOL and my powermac just sits there... :mad: Trust me, it has nothing to do with your computer or router...it's just AOL. And even though "AOL for mac" has this, broadband option, that can only be accessed if you "BYOI". sorry...The truth hurts. :(
NOT TRUE!!!! AOL told my father the same thing while I was at college. They said it was impossible to use AOL Broadband and a Mac. I came home on vacation and set it up in 15 minutes. My dad send a nasty letter to AOL. They changed their tune and said 'yes, we know is works, we just don't give support for it'. Try my last post. We got rid of it for cheaper Verizon. My aunt still uses AOL Broadband with a wireless router (that I set up). When I go over there, I use my powerbook to connect to the internet.

cashmoney

macrumors member
Jun 3, 2005
grapes911 said:
NOT TRUE!!!! AOL told my father the same thing while I was at college. They said it was impossible to use AOL Broadband and a Mac. I came home on vacation and set it up in 15 minutes. My dad send a nasty letter to AOL. They changed their tune and said 'yes, we know is works, we just don't give support for it'. Try my last post. We got rid of it for cheaper Verizon. My aunt still uses AOL Broadband with a wireless router (that I set up). When I go over there, I use my powerbook to connect to the internet.

o.k, I will try that too.

crazzyeddie

macrumors 68030
Dec 7, 2002
Florida, USA
grapes911, he said that he had a cable modem, so PPPoe wouldn't work at all, unless it is a very rare breed of cable.

I remember AOL coming out with AOL Communicator for Mac, which would allow you to be signed on to the internet without AOL being open. Check keyword: AOL Communicator or Beta on your PC and look for the Mac software section.

Dan Uff

macrumors newbie
Apr 11, 2005
Allentown, PA
Linksys and Macs

Hi,
When trying to setup your Mac with the Linksys Router, keep the following in mind:

1. Make sure your Mac is in the same network subnet as the router.
(i.e. 255.255.255.0 or 255.255.0.0)

2. By default, the Mac looks for an Internal network address of 10.0.1.1 for a router (i.e. an Airport Base Station's address) and (by default) the Linksys Router's default address is 192.168.1.1. You may have to change either one in order for them to 'see' each other.

3. Unplug the Linksys Router from the unit itself, wait about 20 seconds, then plug it back in, and try it again. True, this will reset the router and put your back at sqaure one, but sometimes this may force the router to "see" the mac and add it onto the network.

Hope this helps.
Dan Uff
http://www.danuff.com

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park
crazzyeddie said:
grapes911, he said that he had a cable modem, so PPPoe wouldn't work at all, unless it is a very rare breed of cable.
Ahhh...Damn it. Yea, your right. I didn't know AOL had cable. I still say there is a way. AOL was loosing a lot of customers for many reason. The biggest one was that consol gamers could not use AOL broadband for gaming. AOL began adding unoffical ways to connect your consol to the internet. I know PPPoE was added for DSL. Because standards was to connect were added, this allows Mac to connect too. I'd bet that you can connect by way of router. I'm just not sure how to do it by cable. Sorry for all the troble I've caused.

I remember AOL coming out with AOL Communicator for Mac, which would allow you to be signed on to the internet without AOL being open. Check keyword: AOL Communicator or Beta on your PC and look for the Mac software section.
I'm pretty sure AOL Communicator only works for Dial-up.

jadex

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 9, 2005
Houston, Tx, USA
sorry I haven't been keeping up with the thread...i just came back from a (much-needed) vacation!

I've gone through and tried pretty much everything that's been suggested...restarting the router proved to be tedious, and I resorted to plugging the lan cable directly from the cable box to the mac, bypassing the router.

I found, surprisingly, that THAT doesn't work either. The mac can't find the ethernet cable, even when it's directly plugged into the computer. And I've restarted the cable modem, with no successful result.

On a weird side note, with no internet going through the router, the mac picks up the wireless signal from it crystal-clear. What gives?

I also called AOL again, and they gave me the same statement about how AOL for broadband doesn't work with a mac. I don't believe them, but if you plug the cable line directly into the mac and it doesn't recoginize it, *something* is going on.

Dynamyk

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2005
Toronto
I'm scared now, I have this router and I'm going to pick up my iBook tomorrow, I hope it works. I'll post here if it does or doesn't.

Archuleta

macrumors newbie
Sep 10, 2005
Airport Extreme Card + Linksys Wireless Router

Grapes911: I thought the "very basic", "too much detail" answer was excellent... and I'm hoping you (or some other knowledgeable person) can provide me a similar, step-by-step solution to my problem.

I have a G5 Mac with an Airport Extreme card and am trying to connect to a Linksys Wireless Router (Model #BEFW11S4). I can successfully connect with a Windows PC; but, not with my Mac. I've never had any problems with my non-wireless (Linksys) router; but, I've tried everything I can think of and alas am throwing in the towel and asking for help.

I can connect to the internet, via the wireless router, if I use an ethernet cable; but cannot seem to go wireless. I've reset the cable modem and the router... I've set-up the Airport (Network Preferences) to use DHCP... I'm not trying to use any type of security (e.g., WEP or WPA)... My router is set to broadcast the SSID... and still NOTHING. I've tried manual settings, lowering the TX (transmit) speed, setting it to channel 11 (instead of the default of 6), updating the router's firmware, updating the Airport software... and STILL nothing. What am I missing?

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks!

---

grapes911 said:
I've been trying :eek: . I told you what should be going on. I have the same router. I had AOL up until 4 months ago. I had the router and aol working perfect.

Let's try this again from the beginning this time.

Set up the Mac
1. Go to System Preferences.
2. Select Network
3. Show --> Airport

As I re-read this before I hit submit, I realize this sounds very basic. Sorry if I went into too much detail. I mean no insult.
:confused:

stevep

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2004
UK
Archuleta said:
Grapes911: I can connect to the internet, via the wireless router, if I use an ethernet cable; but cannot seem to go wireless.
Surely you can see your Airport signal from the router - Have you got the Airport status icon in your status bar, top right? If yes, and you're within range, it will show the wireless signal from the router. If you're broadcasting the ssid it will show the name of the network. If you know the security settings, or have none set, then you can join that network by selecting it from the Airport status drop-down menu.

Then you can open up a web browser (Safari, Firefox), type in the ip address (default for Linksys is 192.168.1.1) to go to the web-based setup page (which is part of the routers firmware).Check the Wireless section.

Back to the mac. It should try to set things up automatically. If it doesn't, go to the (Airport) network section of system preferences and check that you're using DHCP. I really can't improve on the step-by-step guide from Grapes911 - it should work as long as you've got the correct info from your isp.
As for AOL, I have to ask 'why?' If they make your life difficult ditch them and get a real isp.

Archuleta

macrumors newbie
Sep 10, 2005
Airport Extreme card and Linksys WRT54G router = no internet?

I do have the Airport status icon in my menu bar, but it's dimmed (light grey), which I'm assuming means there is no signal. I am broadcasting the SSID, but the network name doesn't show up... further confirming that my Airport Extreme card is not "seeing" the network.

I've checked the router's settings, but not through Airport. I can only see the router when I'm connected via a LAN cable. I don't think I'm too far away or subject to obstructions/interference because 4 other PCs (one desktop and 3 laptops) all throughout the house can see the wireless network even though they're further away or on a different story of the house.

Finally, I'm not trying to use AOL. Just trying to connect to the internet via a Comcast cable connection.

Thanks for trying... any other ideas?

stevep said:
Surely you can see your Airport signal from the router - Have you got the Airport status icon in your status bar, top right? If yes, and you're within range, it will show the wireless signal from the router. If you're broadcasting the ssid it will show the name of the network. If you know the security settings, or have none set, then you can join that network by selecting it from the Airport status drop-down menu.

Then you can open up a web browser (Safari, Firefox), type in the ip address (default for Linksys is 192.168.1.1) to go to the web-based setup page (which is part of the routers firmware).Check the Wireless section.

Back to the mac. It should try to set things up automatically. If it doesn't, go to the (Airport) network section of system preferences and check that you're using DHCP. I really can't improve on the step-by-step guide from Grapes911 - it should work as long as you've got the correct info from your isp.
As for AOL, I have to ask 'why?' If they make your life difficult ditch them and get a real isp.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.