Airport Extreme Card and other wireless connections

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by MetallicPenguin, Jun 8, 2003.

1. MetallicPenguin macrumors 6502

Sorry, I don't really understand wireless computing that mcuh. But, can the Airport Extreme Card interact and use other station type things (as in other wireless hub things), besides the Airport Extreme? And if so, what are some other things that are similar but cheaper? Thanks.

2. MetallicPenguin thread starter macrumors 6502

Actually I just found a nice wireless access point, I just need to know if the Airport Extreme Card supports it.

Clicky

3. KershMan macrumors 6502

I use a Linksys 802.11b/802.11G wireless router for my wireless and ether network.

It has several twisted-pair ports which I use to connect to my cable modem and iMac. It also acts as a DHCP server. Pretty much all the functionality of the Airport Extreme, except the modem connection.

I use 802.11g with my 12" PM and 802.11b with my wifes iBook (it is compatable with both modes).

Works great. Out of the box you just plug it in and it is ready to go. Admin interface is on 192.168.1.1. There is a default password set (I forget what it is since I changed mine). You can log in and make whatever changes you need.

I like the WEP passwords better than the Airport basestation. You give it a password that it uses to generate a pass key that you must know and enter on each of your systems you want to connect to it. It is still WEP (128 bit) but it seems a little more secure than using a straight password.

I bought mine for $129, well below an Extreme basestation.

4. KershMan macrumors 6502

As a general note, if your wireless access point supports 802.11g, your Airport Extreme Card SHOULD work. But, when Airport Extreme came out the actual standard was not set in stone so there could be a slight variation from vendor to vendor.

If the access point is from one of the bigger vendors it should be OK.

5. MetallicPenguin thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah I think it should work the one I chose was a D-Link, and it was $129. It looked like it supported 802.11b and 802.11g. Sounds good, thanks guys.

6. ZildjianKX macrumors 68000

ZildjianKX

I've heard people saying they've had trouble with the Netgear 802.11g wireless access point working with Airport Xtreme cards:

http://www.netgear.com/products/prod_details.asp?prodID=170&view=

Anyone tried it and had any success with it? Pitty if it doesn't work, its much faster in transfer speeds and distances than the Airport Station in CNET benchmarks.