Airport Extreme Card into iMac vs another wireless router

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by smile, Jan 24, 2004.

1. smile macrumors newbie

Jan 24, 2004
    Portland, OR
    I have an iMac (almost always on) & new 15" PowerBook. To go wireless, should I buy an AE card and place in iMac (can get for about $90US through academic discount) or another wireless router (LinkSys, NetWear, Asante, etc)???

I realize that I will have to leave iMac on to use AE card - any other considerations?

2. abhishekit macrumors 65816

Nov 6, 2003
    akron , ohio
    assuming your pb has airport extreme, u wd need an airport or and airport extreme card(not sure what imac takes) AND u wd need a wireless router.u cant go wireless without a router.
    and u dont need to keep any machine on..for the other machine to use wireless...
    hope it helps..
  3. d8n_two macrumors newbie

Sep 21, 2001
    Actually, you can share a connection via an Airport card with the iMac acting as the router. That's what the Internet Sharing feature does in the Sharing panel of System Prefs. I did it for a short period while I waited for a new router to come out.

Simply connect your (cable, dsl) modem to your iMac via ethernet, and choose share internet connection via airport in Sys Prefs. This will set up a private LAN with the iMac acting as a DHCP server.

Personally though, I'd recommend a hardware router. They are less than $100 for 11g these days. They give you more flexibility and they put both computers behind a firewall. That's just my opinion though.