AirPort Extreme Card + Password = How?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by OneMike, Oct 22, 2005.

1. OneMike macrumors 601

OneMike

This question is directed towards usuage with a PSP, but it could be applied to usage with any product.

What I did: System preferences > Sharing (turned on web sharing) > Internet (turned on share connection from "built in ethernet", clicked checkbox for "to airport") > Airport Options selected use wep pasword and entered the password > put password on PSP tried to connect didn't work.

I have a PSP as stated. Internet connection between psps & Internal ariport extreme card work fine if I don't set it to use WEP encryption. Problem is I want to use a password. I searched the internet hi & low and can't find a solution.

Tried putting $ before password, using 0x, #, wep generators online, 40-bit key length, 128 length, 10 / 13 / 26 character passes, WEP in PSP, WEP (TKIP), etc.. Even tried entering the password in option as apple and on PSP as 6170706C65 as taken from http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=108058. Still didn't work.

Many have said use the airport admin utility which would probably work if i had an airport base station, but since I'm just using the airport extreme internal card I can't use the admin utility.

any help?

2. iEric macrumors 6502a

go to the hard drive > apps > utilities > Airport setup

3. OneMike thread starter macrumors 601

OneMike

Forgot to add that I tried that too. Setup is for "Airpot Base Stations," dosn't detect the extreme carde just says "No no airport networks are found."

Thanks for the info though.

4. nipponjin macrumors newbie

Exactly the same probleme of Stylez Cz...only difference is that
    I own also an Airport Express Base

Someone has Any idea?

Cheers

nipponjin:)

P.S.
    Airport Express Base (firmware 5.6) + Airport Card + PSP (firmware 2.5)
    Running on 10.4.3 iMac Flatpanel 15" G4

5. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Stylez Cz, are you trying to make an ad hoc network between your Mac and the PSP (without a base station)? As far as I know, you can't put WEP security on an ad hoc network and there'd be hardly any point anyway because each time that computer sleeps you'll lose the connection and have to reconfigure. Not to mention the fact that the range will be very limited.

nipponjin, if I've got this right then you have a base station meaning that it really should be a simple matter of putting in the password you use for that wireless network on your PSP to join. I don't have a PSP so I can't check how easy that is though. In the meantime, you may want to update your base station's firmware too. :)

6. nipponjin macrumors newbie

mad jew thanks for the reply, but it really didn't work, put 13 characters pass on airport and than on the psp (wep) but no luck, only w/out encryptin' the connection works...

Any clue?

Cheers

7. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

i don't have a psp, but usually a problem that occurs with people is the difference between a wep hex password and a wep ascii password. do which type of password the psp submits or can you select?

8. nipponjin macrumors newbie

superbovine, thanks for the reply, it doesn't seem that you can decide which one to use on the psp (hex or ascii) anyway I've tried both and still no luck...

BTW I've also tried with WPA-PSK (TKIP) and WPA-PSK (AES) (the settings that the PSP allows) but no way... it doesn't work...

Any other idea?

Cheers

9. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

you have to change wep to wpa in your basestation to get that to work right :p

10. nipponjin macrumors newbie

Sorry, forgot to say that I've changed the setting of the base station as well and restart the base when I've tried WPA's encryptions...no luck

Cheers

11. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Did you try using the $ before the WEP key, like Stylez Cz mentions?

12. nipponjin macrumors newbie

13. David Scott macrumors newbie

Stylez Cz,

I have exactly the same problem as you, and it's very frustrating. I can connect an iBook to my WEP enabled iMacG5 but I have to turn WEP off if I want to connect a PSP. I'd be interested to hear if you solve the problem, and I'll let you know if I do.

David

14. DavidPruett macrumors newbie

I'm brand new to the forum, just googled a question about airport and it sent me here. Happy to say you helped me a lot! It was a brain-fart kind of thing and just reading your post's reminded me what to do... :eek: Anyway thanks for the help.