Airport extreme card...plastic?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by asif786, Nov 29, 2004.

1. asif786 macrumors 65816

asif786

hey,

My iMac is due to be arriving in the next couple of days, so today I popped over to the Apple store in london and picked up an airport extreme card.

this may sound like a bit of a dumb question (probably is) but there's a little plastic tab on the card - do I need to take this out? Those of you who've installed this will probably know..

I was amazed to find that there's absoulutely no installation instructions in the box...odd?

/asif

2. AmigoMac macrumors 68020

AmigoMac

There should be a manual online, look on the applecare site of apple, I'm not quite sure what you talk about because I got my iBook with the card and I only touched when I put 512 MB RAM in. but applecare site should say it. Congratulation on your iMac and enjoy it.

3. wPod macrumors 68000

wPod

plastic tab should stay. its probably there so you can yank it out of the machine w/o difficulty. my PB came with airport express installed, but i think my old iBook (with regular airport) has a plastic tab for easy removal.

4. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

Yes, the plastic tab is for pulling it back out. Especially in my 15 inch PowerBook, I wouldn't be able to get it out without that little clear tab.

5. TLRedhawke macrumors 6502

The tab is there for ease of removal, and in Powerbooks, you most definitely need it, unless you want to risk damaging the antenna connector, by using that to remove it. In the case of the G5 iMac, however, you can remove the tab if you like. The slot for the card is pretty open, and so it's easy enough to remove with just your fingers. That being said, if you ever have any intention of throwing the card into a Powerbook, leave it on. There are no instructions on the box because the installation procedures for the Airport Extreme card vary widely depending on the machine it's going into.

6. matthutch macrumors regular

the installinstructions for the card will be in the imac users manual. They were there for my g5, they were there for my powerbook (even though i got it preinstalled).

The instructions in the manuals are easy to follow, and they have pictures too which always helps :)

hope that helps

7. asif786 thread starter macrumors 65816

asif786

Cool, thanks for the help guys! I thought the plastic might be for pulling the card out easily, but I've never had to do that so I wasnt too sure..

Now let's just hope I dont screw it up hehe ;)

8. jared_kipe macrumors 68030

jared_kipe

Speaking of that stupid antenna connector, when I installed my first in my 15" alu powerbook, that darn connector popped right off.

9. Makosuke macrumors 603

Actually, is it just me or do you not even need a manual with most (any?) recent Mac? Every one I've looked at has a picture printed on the inside of the case that shows you how to do it.

I put an AE card in a G4 iBook last week, and it definitely had a picture under the keyboard, I know the G4 iMacs do (on the bottom coverplate), and my G5 tower does. Can't remember inside the G5 iMacs or PBs, but I'd guess they have pictures too.