Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kazk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 27, 2006
Hi,

The AirPort Exterme card on my G5 (single 1.8GHz OS 10.3.9) has not been able to get any signal from the router (probably) since the power outage a couple of months ago, though my G5 recognizes the card.

The firmware for the AirPort Exterme card is 404.2 (3.90.34.0.p16). (The updates on the apple site seem to be only for the base station.)

The wireless router D-Link DI-624 is working properly – my MacBook gets a signal from it normally.

I would appreciate it very much if someone could help me.

Thanks.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Would you be able to borrow a friend's AirPort Extreme card to test whether your is fried? There are software-side steps you could take like resetting the PRAM, but since you mentioned the power outage, I think it's more likely a dead card. :(

Try the PRAM reset anyway I guess. Oh, and if you're bored, check that the card is seated properly inside the G5. This probably isn't very relevant but may still help. :)

kazk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 27, 2006
Thanks.

I did the PRAM reset, but it still cannot get any signal.
I checked that the card is installed in the G5 properly.

I don't have a close friend who has an AirPort Extreme card on his/her machine.

Is there any other way I can test my card?
My G5 says that AirPort is on but is not connected to any network, and can switch the card on and off.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Maybe take out all the unwanted variables. Turn off the security on your wireless network and put the G5 right next to the base station. Does it show even a glimmer of reception? :)

kazk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 27, 2006
I put my G5 right next to the router, and found that it does get a signal, though it is not very strong (just 2 lights are lit).

It cannot get any signal upstairs (at the top of the stairs; the router is at the bottom), though another computer can get a signal upstairs (1-6 lights are lit, but it is not very stable).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.