Airport Extreme Compatible Printer

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Jsmit, Sep 10, 2004.

1. Jsmit macrumors regular

I'm about to purchase a 12" Powerbook, and got AirPort Extreme base for a wireless experience. I decided to purchase the Powerbook through Apple (so i can get the bigger/faster HD) and they have a $99 rebate on select HP printers when purchased with the computer. I was wondering if anyone has had any experience using any of these printers with an AirPort Extreme's printer port.

The printers are:
    HP Photosmart 7660 Inkjet Photo Printer
    HP DeskJet 5850 Wireless Inkjet Printer
    HP PSC 2410 Multifunction Printer
    HP PSC 2175 All-In-One
    HP DeskJet 5740 Inkjet Printer

If none of these are compatible or you just don't know, can you make any recommendations for a printer you know that is.

Thanks in advance.

BTW: I found the list of compatiable Lexmark printers on the Apple website, but have had very bad luck Lexmark in the past and am trying to avoid them now.

2. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

I recently got a 15" PB, AExpress, and an HP 5150 from Apple with an $89 rebate on the printer. Set up was simple, and the printer works great via AExpress. Only downside is the small amount of ram in the printer, but it is speedy and works as well as my Epson Stylus Color Photo 900, which is hooked up via USB to my iPixar G4. I'm sure any of the HP printers will do you fine. I have a friend at work who just got the HP 5740, but he is still waiting on that iMac G5. I'm sure it works fine with AExpress, though. Apple has a list of compatible printers on their website somewhere.
    I'd be worried about using an AIO or multi-function printer via AExpress, because I highly doubt you can scan an image and save it back to the computer via AExpress. I don't see how that could be anything other than a one way street. Of course, I could easily be wrong about that part. Anyone know?

3. Jsmit thread starter macrumors regular

I didn't think the AIO or multifunctions would be a good option, since from what I understand it is just a printer usb port, allowing one to only print to the device rendering most of the other functions inoperable.

I going to try the HP 5740 since it will only cost me $.99 + $5.00 tax after rebate. If it doesn't work I can just use my G3 iMac (running 10.3.5) as a printer server for now and then get a laser printer to run through the AirPort. I had a laser printer for a PC many years ago, and I loved that thing.

Thanks again.

Does anyone have the link for Apple's list of compatible printer? I can only find the list of Lexmark printers. I have found some posts where a link was given, but the link sent me to a airport printer shooting page, not a list of compatible printers.

4. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

I have the HP 5850. It's a great printer, but I made a mistake in buying it. My network is only 802.11G, and it is 802.11B. This means that I have to switch networks every time that I have to print something, which is really annoying. Im sure that you wouldn't have this problem with APX, though, because it is 802.11B and 802.11G.

5. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

5850 is great!

I have the HP 5850, and use it with my airport Express all the time. Works fine for me, with no problems. The only down side is configuration may take a few tries to get it to work properly. By that I mean getting in to connect to your network. Once that is done, your all set to go. And a wireless printer is definatly very nice. I cant state that enough.

6. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

Do you know if it matters whether or not you have a B or G access point? I figured that because the printer is B and the access point is G that they wouldn't talk. Is that true, or do you think im just doing something wrong?

7. Jsmit thread starter macrumors regular

If I get the 5850, I could connect it wirelessly, leaving the usb port open for amy dream laser printer down the road. I do like the sound of that.

I believe the AirPort Express Base Station is both b and g compatible. There is a setting to enable it to communicate to only g, both b and g, and only b devices.

8. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

If you have a G access point, the printer should work on it. I checked the HP users guide, and it says it will work, but doesn't give any instruction on how to set it up. (Just 802.11b setup, but I imagine it should be the same.)

I had to install the HP software that came with the printer. After working with that, and messing around with the options on the my APEx, I finally got it working. I think you should be able to do add it to your exsisiting "G" network.

Looks like right now you have it in ad-hoc mode, or a direction between you computer and the printer. I believe it is setup this way out of the box.
    You need to change it to infrastructure mode. Then you should be able to set it on your network. If you have already tried this, I appologize. Give it shot though, I bet you can get it to work.

Let me know if I can be of any other assistance.

9. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

Okay. I'll go get the box out of the attic and mess around with it. I'll try the infrastructure thing, too. I just assumed that after a failed first attempt at setting it up, there was an incompatibility issue, so I quit. Hopefully i'll get it up and running.

edit: Well, I am thoroughly lost in trying to change it to infrastructure mode. The installation process in my manual doesn't follow the installation process on my computer. I even managed to stop the printer from broadcasting a network signal, so now I can't even print....

I do appreciate the help, though. Im sure that whole ad-hoc thing is the problem, but I don't know how to change it...

10. kronos2611 macrumors member

I used to have my DeskJet 940C attached to the USB port on my Airport Extreme base station and found that it was great for printing basic documents. However almost everytime I tried to print anything vaguely complex the base station would hang and need to be restarted.. AE Base station was at the latest firmware revs etc but problem persisted so switched back to sharing the priter from another Mac - no issues at all.

However -I guess this could just be the DJ 940C as it's a bit long in the tooth these days....

11. Jsmit thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks Again

Thanks for the help. I just placed my order. I decided on the 5850, since this me the option ofrunning a laser printer off the usb port later down the road (most of my printing is text, so color is not an issue).

Good luck with your set up Capt Underpants.

I can't wait for the PB to get here. Thanks for the help again.