Airport Extreme dial up with ethernet

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by gekko513, Dec 23, 2006.

1. gekko513 macrumors 603

gekko513

I connect to the Internet using a dial up from an Airport Extreme base station. An iMac is connected wirelesly and I can use a menu option in the Airport menu item to make the modem dial up. There's also an eMac connected on the ethernet port.

I can't find a way to tell the modem to dial up using the eMac. Is this possible?

There's an option to set the modem to dial up automatically, but when that option is checked the modem insists it should dial up and stay connected as long as any of the computers are turned on.

2. mklos macrumors 68000

mklos

If the eMac connects to the same Airport, then you can just click on the AirPort menu by the clock in the top right and when you click on the name of your Airport, it should pop a menu over to the left or right and say connect.

This should be true for any computer that connects to that airport.

The Mac OS has never done dial out automatically right IMO. It always dials out when it doesn't need to. Usually this because some software update is running in the background, or you have network time enabled, or something like that requires an internet connection. Certain widgets may also spark an internet connection as well. Generally, its not a good idea to have it enabled.

3. gekko513 thread starter macrumors 603

gekko513

Yes, the way you describe works for the Macs that are connected by Airport and has a wireless icon, but the eMac doesn't have an Airport card. It's connected to the Airport Extreme using an ethernet cable.

4. mklos macrumors 68000

mklos

There's no other way to do it other than tell your airport to dialout automatically when a network request is made. Like I said earlier though, it never works right and always dials out when its not necessary.

The only other option would be to put an Airport card in it.