Airport Extreme - did I just buy an outdated model?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by OceanFrog, Mar 22, 2011.

1. macrumors regular

I'm a bit confused here ... hoping you guys can help.

Last week I was in a situation where I needed to buy an Airport Extreme asap. I always buy directly from Apple but didn't have time so bought from my nearest bricks and mortar store. The serial number of the Extreme I bought is MC340B/A, and the model no. is A1354. Is this the most up to date model?

Also, when is the next version of the Airport Extreme expected?

2. macrumors 6502

No I think you're fine. model 340 is the newest "dual band" model. I am not sure when the next model is coming out but I think I am holding out for the next one. :)

3. r0k
    macrumors 68040

r0k

It's hard to say when the next version is coming out. I have the current version. One way you can tell if you have the latest version is in Airport Utility if it offers to let you set up a "guest" network.

I picked up mine not long after the current model came out. I'm delighted with it. I had a Time Capsule that used to get "befuddled" by something my Comcrap cable modem was doing but I've only had to reset my AE once or twice over a period where my 1st Gen TC would have gotten itself befuddled a half dozen or more times. That's the real criteria. If the features you need are included, go for it. Why suffer with a less than ideal router waiting for Apple to get around to updating AE? Then again, if I'd bought my AE a week or two before the model with guest networking came out, I'd be pretty upset because that feature was important to me. If a new model comes out with some sort of ability to streaming my itunes stuff to my phone on my limited data plan, I could care less. So it really depends on whether the newer model comes with a feature that is important to you or not.

4. macrumors 6502

A combination of not having the cash right now (just finished grad school, still looking for job) and not really "needing" it at the moment, I guess. :)

5. r0k
    macrumors 68040

r0k

Nothing wrong with waiting till you really need it / can afford it. Good luck on finding a job!

6. thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks guys ... really appreciate the answers.

7. macrumors 68010

Brien

I just bought an AE about a month ago through the refurbished section. I love it. It's infinitely better than any other router I've ever used. I have the dual-band model (latest version) which was apparently released in October 2009, so I wouldn't plan on an update anytime soon. There haven't been any real advancements in wi-fi since n, so yeah, no worries.

8. macrumors member

Got mine almost 2 weeks ago (with the new iPad2) I just plug it in and that's it...no complains so far :)

9. macrumors 6502

Thanks! Tough market :(