Airport Extreme Dilemna...

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by steeleclipse, Apr 22, 2003.

1. steeleclipse macrumors 6502

I have a Dual 867 MDD, and I was looking at buying a 12"PB. After buying that, however I don't have much money to go wireless, so i was wondering is there anyway to use my powermac as a base station for an airport exteme card???

I am curious because extreme is "G" while my powermac is "B", but i know that the g standard is backwards compatible with b... so will it work? or should i just go with an ibook, because i know that will work with my powermac functioning as a base station.

I do realize that if the airport extreme card will work with my MDD powermac it will only get "b" speed. That is a price i am willing to pay :D

2. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

I'm assuming it should work using an Airport card in the PowerMac and Software Base Station, but I don't see anything on Apple's site saying for sure that it will.

Anyone tried it?

3. steeleclipse thread starter macrumors 6502

Also... using the software base station: does it require anything other than an airport card? and also, is performance as good as the basestation?

4. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

The performance should be about the same, but I honestly cannot say, since I've never tried it.

Software Base Station is enabled in your Sharing pref pane, under the Internet tab. Your PowerMac should be connected via ethernet to your Cable/DSL/T1/whatever and then the connection will be distributed via the Airport card.

5. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

-steeleclipse

Yes, putting an airport card in the PM will work. And quite well - as long as your PM stays awake. :D

6. steeleclipse thread starter macrumors 6502

but with a 12"PB with Airport Extreme?

(Im sorry, I wasnt clear on your reply) :)

7. hugemullens macrumors 6502a

hugemullens

i have a powermac with a regular airport and a powerbook with AE, i have a router, but i just turned on software base station and had no problem connecting, i didnt get as good a reception, but not bad.
    So yes it will work. just at 11mb/sec and not 54 (who need that kind of speed anyways?)

8. steeleclipse thread starter macrumors 6502

I would like to see someone get 54mbps anyways... aint gonna happen :D what is the quickest transfer rate you have ever gotten??? (actual speed, not theoretical)

9. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

-steeleclipse

Apologies. I was after the simplest answer. I own a 12PB and do exactly what you are looking to do with it all the time. It'll go to 802.11b which is 11mbps, but it works very well, and seamlessly.

All you do is set up an AirPort network on the PM, set up your WEP (UID and Password security), go to "Sharing" and share your internet connection, and then grab your 12PB and sign on.

Bingo!

10. steeleclipse thread starter macrumors 6502

11. hugemullens macrumors 6502a

hugemullens

I think the best i've ever gotten out of my router is 6 mb/sec. Never really tried it with a software base station. It'd be a good activity for an afternoon though :)