Airport extreme/express and WDS?!?!?!?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by whyrichard, Sep 3, 2005.

1. whyrichard macrumors 68000

Aug 15, 2002

I for the life of me cannot get my airport express and extreme to co-operate happily.

i want to do the usual:

-airport extreme hooked up to dsl
    -an ethernet cord running off to another computer
    -airport express streaming music/printing/extending range...

but i can't!

when i'm on express is says i can't connect to internet, when i'm on extreme i can't see speakers!!!

while setting them up in admin and selecting wds main/remote it give me a bunch of mumbo about static ip addresses, selecting distribute ip address using dhcp only, or whatever.

and my pc/xp box can't get an ip address from any of the computers, what a drag!

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Apr 3, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia
    Start from the beginning and use the guides/default settings Apple gives you. Forget about security for now, that can be added later.

Okay, set up the Extreme for connecting to your internet and then for distributing wireless signals using the AirPort Set Up Assistant. Put a basic WEP password on it, don't bother with MAC filtering or anything like that yet.

Now, go to the Express, have it plugged in next to the Extreme, set it up to join the existing network through WDS by following the prompts. You may need to do a hard restart of the Express first, to get rid of the current settings. his means holding the little reset button in while you plug it in and for another subsequent five seconds or so (from memory).

Once the Express and Extreme are on the same network, and you've made sure all computers can connect, you can go back to the Extreme through the AirPort Admin Utility and change settings at your whim, such as security stuff. :)