Airport Extreme/Express Network Set-up

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by ebook, Sep 14, 2004.

1. ebook macrumors 6502

I just received my new Airport Extreme and Express and I would like to start setting up my network. The possible problem is that I am running 10.2 on my only Airport equipped machine right now. I will be getting a new iMac soon from FedEx (crosses fingers), but I would like to set up the network if I can first. So, the question is this. Can I set up the network with my old G3, old Airport equipped iBook so as soon as the iMac gets here I can plug it in and get to work? I believe I read that I won't be able to use the AirTunes feature yet (until I get the new computer), but I just want to know if I can set up the network.

Also, is it easy to set up the network. Should I just install the cd that came with either the Extreme or Express and then expect it to walk me through?

Thanks for the help

2. JOD8FY macrumors 6502a

JOD8FY

It's very easy to start a network. I have an Airport Express and it took about 2 minutes. Install the Airport Express Setup Assistant that's on the CD in the box. Then you have to decide:

1. Do you want the Airport Express to extend the range of your network

OR

2. Do you want the Airport Express to create your network

I would think you'd want choice 1. Supposing you did, plug in all of your connections to the Airport Extreme Base Station and then open up the Airport Setup assistant found in Applications>Utilities and set up your network. When you're done, plug in your Airport Express into a wall socket (it does not have to be connected to the internet) and use the Airport Express Setup Assistant to have this base station "join an existing network." Customize everything in the Airport Administration Utility (also found in the Utilities folder), and you're all set.

I know it may sound like a lot, but it's not hard.

Good luck, :)
    JOD8FY

P.S. - Great choice with the iMac! Good luck with it!

3. ebook thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks, that sounds like something I can do. And, it sounds like I can do it with OS 10.2, just won't be able to take advantage of the AirTunes yet :(

Come on iMac daddy needs you now!