Airport Extreme: Extending Network Wirelessly, No IP?

Discussion in 'Mac Peripherals' started by MrSmithy, Jan 14, 2012.

1. macrumors newbie

Hello everyone,

This may have been asked before, but I couldn't find an answer to my specific problem. I am living in an apartment where wifi is provided. I have access to the modem and router as well as their settings, but cannot directly connect to them. I am using my Airport Extreme to join this network. This works well for all of my wireless devices, but when I try to connect my desktop via ethernet to my Airport, it cannot connect to the internet. When I plug my Macbook into the ethernet, the Network pane tells me the following: "Ethernet: Connected. Ethernet is currently active and has the IP address 169.254.115.9." However, Safari tells me I am not connected to the internet.

The Airport is set up to join a wireless network. When I select "Extend A Wireless Network", it tells me "The network you selected cannot be extended." The router is a Cisco, so I am not as familiar with the interface as I am with an Airport's. There is no obvious "allow this network to be extended" equivalent, but there may be another way that I am unaware of.

So my question is, is it possible to wirelessly join a network with an Airport, and then connect a computer to that airport via ethernet?

2. macrumors newbie

Choose 'join a wireless network' and then check the box 'allow ethernet clients'.

I think this doesn't exist on older airport units. It may require a firmware update?

I use this all the time.

3. MrSmithy, Jan 14, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2012

thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the quick reply!

I am running firmware 7.6 , but I don't see this option. After clicking on Manual Setup, I select "Airport", then "Wireless". Am I looking in the right spot? I don't see it anywhere else either, but I may have missed it.

EDIT: My Airport Extreme is an 802.11n, model A1143, MA073LL/A, Jan 2007.

4. thread starter macrumors newbie

What model of Airport Extreme are you using? What firmware are you running? I'm curious as to what the difference in our setup is.