Airport Extreme for an old PBG4?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by numediaman, Jan 14, 2004.

1. numediaman macrumors 6502a

I have a G4 Powerbook that I bought in 2001. I once bought an Airport Card for it, but returned it because I was having trouble getting the base station, the card, and the cable modem to communicate (the fault of the cable company).

Now I have a Netgear wireless router with two Macs hard wired, a PC hard wired and a PC wireless. I'd like to go wireless with my Powerbook. I searched on the CDW site for an airport card and only came up with an Airport Extreme card. It mentioned that it works with "Airport Extreme enabled Macs".

What would I buy for this PB? Thanks.

2. hugemullens macrumors 6502a

hugemullens

You need an old airport card. Extreme cards will not work will old pbg4's. Apple should have an origonal airport card on thier website.

3. stockscalper macrumors 6502a

stockscalper

Try one of the mail order vendors like MacConnection or Small Dog. I have one of the first PB's and I put an airport card in it that I got from MacConnection. It works great and I wonder how I got along without it all these years. I have the Netgear router at home and Linyx at work. The computer automatically detects each one when I'm within range and configures itself without my having to do anything. It frustrates a co-worker who has a Dell and has to jump through hoops to hook up.

4. numediaman thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the input. Getting my PB wireless will give new life to this ol' machine (the DVD needs replacing, and its only 400mhz).