Airport Extreme help? access point?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by millar876, Jan 3, 2007.

1. millar876 macrumors 6502a

millar876

At the moment my Broadband is running through an Orange Livebox (inventel), which is pumping out a wereless signal that im iMac G3 and intel are both connected to. I also Have an airport extreme base station (dual ethernet and modem) that i used when i had a dsl modem without wireless.

What i want to know is if there is any way i can use the base station as a wireless access point for my xbox 360. i.e. so i dont have to have cables running all over the house when i want to go onto xbox live.

i want to have this setup if possible. 360 -->-- AE Base station -->-- existing wifi network (not airport third party)

Any help apreciated

2. Joony macrumors regular

There is no mention on google about using the Airport Extreme in "client mode". It supports WDS, lots of info. So if your Orange thing supports WDS, give that a try.

Would be less of a hassle for you to ebay your airport extreme and pickup the xbox360 wireless network adapter!

3. millar876 thread starter macrumors 6502a

millar876

thats what i was thinking but id rather not if there is any way i can get arround it. I also have a netgrar wireless modem router (wg834g v2) anyone know if i can use that as an access point / bridge?

4. Gee macrumors 65816

I use an Extreme basestation as an access point for my playstation; it's connecting to an Express that's connected to t'internet. Not sure if you can do it with non apple products, but as you've got the gear there, why not give it a go. My Extreme is set up as a WDS remote basestation...

5. millar876 thread starter macrumors 6502a

millar876

thanks for the help put i couldnt git WDS to work without having more airport stull so i got myself a lynksys gaming bridge, seems to work fine. Any one want an airport extreme base station?

6. Joony macrumors regular

I'll take it off your hands if you're giving it away :) or at a reasonable price.

Was the linksys gaming bridge significantly cheaper than the 360 wifi adapter?

7. millar876 thread starter macrumors 6502a

millar876

it was £45 from pc world but i can use it on my PS2 aswell unlike the xbox one.

whaats your idea of a resonable price?

*edit* I've still got the boxand the mount bracket but have no idea where the manuals are (all manuals online hnyhoo). Got the ethernet, modem and power cables though *edit*