Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fyrmedic

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 19, 2005
My airport signal seems to be getting worse..one or two bars. I have not moved it's location. I do notice that my neighbors network(unsecure) comes in better almost full power. My airport is not that far away and seems to loose a conection with my internet on a reg basis... I am extremely unhappy with this product. Does any one have suggestion on what channel my airport should be on...we do have a cordless phone. the signal also gets worse at night.

on the flip side. can anyone reccomend a router for macs other than the airport???

Applespider

macrumors G4
Use Macstumber or the like to find out what channel your neighbour's is on.

Then you should be able to try out a digit up from it and see if it improves.

Also make sure that your router isn't sitting in a complete tangle of electrical equipment - or on the other side of the wall from a microwave or something.

Most wi-fi routers will work with your Mac if they have a web interface. I've tried a Thomson, a Netgear and a Belkin at various locations.

fyrmedic

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 19, 2005
Thanks

the mac stumbler worked great....it rates my signal as weak and it is just in the other room....and I loose my connection often. initially macstumbler did not even find my network. I had to turn off and on my dsl modem and the airport.

trainguy77

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2003
This sounds like a problem I had awhile ago. Make sure your firmware is up to date. Also with the channels make sure you are more then 1 channel away as they "bleed" so figure out which channel number is the farthest away from other networks.

fyrmedic

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 19, 2005
trainguy77 said:
This sounds like a problem I had awhile ago. Make sure your firmware is up to date. Also with the channels make sure you are more then 1 channel away as they "bleed" so figure out which channel number is the farthest away from other networks.

Thanks I am just one channel away so I will try to switch it up one more....I just downgraded my firmware on advise from another site...I see what the channel change does and check back...thanks again for the help.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.