Airport Extreme in eMac?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by amyng, Oct 25, 2005.

1. amyng macrumors newbie

Hi all,

I posted about getting a superdrive eMac a couple of days ago. They don't come with an airport extreme card, and I'm planning to get one in mine. The thing is, I don't have an airport base station, I have a wireless router that connects broadband. it's a wireless 802.11 something, something (pardon me, but I'm not sure what to watch out for in its specs):eek:

My sis's PC has a card in her PC that is "WPKG PCI WLAN card".

Should I get anything other than Apple's Airport card to be compatible with my existing router, or will it do just fine? Will it be advisable (or cheaper) to install other cards?

thanks,
    Amy

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Apple's cards are standard 802.11g cards. If you have an existing machine that works with 802.11g (which it sounds like you do) you should be fine.

3. plasticparadox macrumors 6502

Hi Amy. As far as I know, other cards (besides Apple's) won't be compatible with your eMac. Possible exceptions would be a USB dongle antenna or one of these. But if you just get an Apple Airport Extreme card, it'll be compatible with the 802.11b and 802.11g standards, and will work with your current wireless equipment.

4. shadowmoses macrumors 68000

shadowmoses

Apple's airport extreme is extremely easy to fit in an emac just put it in above the Disc Drive....
    Shadow

And the only option for an eMac would be the official airport extreme card

5. strider42 macrumors 65816

strider42

stay away from USb adaptors at all costs. nothing but hassles. If you go external, get an ethernet based device, as they don't require drivers.

But as already stated, just get an airport extreme card and it will be compatible with the existing network.

6. amyng thread starter macrumors newbie