Airport extreme issues (admin utility issues)

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by rcm3, Feb 24, 2007.

1. rcm3 macrumors member

Supposedly the default high security setting (WPA2) is actually both WPA2 and WPA, but I can't get any device without an adapter that is specifically WPA2 compatible to connect. This includes both a desktop PC with a PCI card G adapter and of course, my xbox 360. FWIW, I my Tivo connects fine with the new airport using the new proprietary adapter that tivo sells.

Also, my airport admin utility doesn't want to work right either. I get an error message. Strangely enough the error message doesn't prevent me from modifying the settings. I can still work on the settings, even though the message won't go away. Here is the message I get:

[​IMG]

Thanks for your help. I'm starting to think the cost and the issues I'm having with this device outweigh the good looks it has and the high speeds it's capable of.

2. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

You are using the wrong utility: you should be using Airport Utility, not Airport Admin Utility: ap ute copy.jpg

3. rcm3 thread starter macrumors member

Care to elaborate? I'd like to change my security settings from WPA2 to WPA only so that my non-WPA2 devices can connect. I don't think there is any way to do this without the admin utility.... is there?

4. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

If you've loaded the sw from the AE CD, you'll have an "Airport Utility.app" in your Utilities folder. Have a look.
    au copy.jpg

5. rcm3 thread starter macrumors member

I've seen that and used it (to set things up initially). I took another look with your suggestion and found that I can access a 'manual setup' window. Unfortunately there is no WPA only mode.

I'm assuming this is the most involved that I can get with the router settings.... Bummer.

Thanks for your help.

6. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

7. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Can you provide more details about your setup, please? Specifically, this is the new AEBS, right? And you have it set up to WPA1/2 without MAC filtering? SSID visible or invisible? Password or Pre-shared key?

It might be that one or more of the devices has a screwy implementation of 802.11g... although the XBOX360 should be solid. I know that, speaking generally of MS implementations in software, that the Windows Mobile 5 devices connect to WPA1/2 networks fine.

If it's a screwy implementation issue, it might have to do with something like the length of your password (although hashing is not supposed to be an issue with WPA like it is with WEP) or possibly with the device expecting a PSK instead of a password.

I'm basing everything I'm saying off a WPA2 network on the original AEBS, mind you.... but still the concept should be the same.

8. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

^ I assume you're addressing the OP, not me...