Airport Extreme / Lacie HD problems

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Badabing!, Feb 27, 2007.

1. Badabing! macrumors newbie

I have just bought an Airport Extreme, and it works just fine. Except for one thing. It will not let me access my external Lacie 250 GB HD... It finds it, and then asks for password. When I enter the (correct) password, however, it refuses to let me in. The message I get is something like "unknown user, unknown password or deactivated login". I am a bit desperate, since I have found NO solution to it - and since I know that the password is correct. :confused:

Any thoughts are very much appreciated!

Thanks in advance.

2. bujjai2007 macrumors newbie

I am running into a similar issue. I plan on calling apple support and see what they have to say. One thing you can try is to change the disk password from the airport bs password. I had this working for a few days and then a computer restart put the whole system off.

3. Patronus macrumors newbie

If you are trying to access the disc with a Windoze machine, I think the drive needs to be formatted as FAT32. I had this experience and it was solved by re-formatting the drive to FAT32.

4. iW00t macrumors 68040

iW00t

I have no problems accessing a shared HFS+ disk using a Windows computer. The filesystem is shared over SMB so it doesn't matter whether it is FAT32 or not, the client computer doesn't see it.

5. duffsrp macrumors member

Having the same problem. Let us know what Apple says if/ when you call.

6. TheCreeper macrumors member

My two friends just bought an AE and they BOTH are having problems accessing their Lacie externals using Airdisk. I was going to buy an AE last night but my buddy told me no. He said he has so many problems mounting and losing connection to his Lacie that he is returning his today. My other friend said AE works awesome but the airdisk does not work correctly. His unmounts without warning.

I posted this in another thread. Both are using Macs (Powerbook G4 & Macbook Pro).

To the ones not having any problem using airdisk what gear are you using? comments?

7. Carpediem68 macrumors member

I've been using it a week with a western digitial drive. No dismounts, no problems. I keep a Lacie for super duper but haven't hooked it to the AE. Maybe I'll give it a go this weekend.

8. TheCreeper macrumors member

i just hooked up my friend's AE and gave it a go. Set up airdisk and hooked up a USB Hub to hook up my printer and 2 Lacie Drives (A 160GB and 1TB). Anyway yes there seems to be a problem with accessing my Lacie drives on my new MB and old iBook G4 14". They would unmount for no reason. When I was downloading files to the drives it was SLOW. Granted I may not know how to use the AE since I just borrowed it but I'm not sure what is up. I was downloading MP3's and a few video files. If I downloaded the same files directly to my MB it was A LOT FASTER. If this makes any sense.

Printing worked fine.

I then just plugged my single Lacie 1TB drive directly into the AE to see what would happen. It worked for an hour and then my new MB froze and I had to hold the power to restart. After restart I was not able to access my drive. Password would not work, ETC...

My friend is returning this AE now and is just gonna go to best buy and get a Linksys N instead. I'll let him buy it first and see how it goes. Who knows maybe the new AE works well but we're just not setting it up right.

We are all using Macs (MB, MB Pro, & Powerbook G4 17") and we all own Lacie HDD and a Western Digital.

9. Diatribe macrumors 601

Diatribe

I don't see how this issue could be related to a certain Hd manufacturer but if it really is, I won't be buying a new AEBS anytime soon.

10. TheCreeper macrumors member

i don't see how that is possible either. its not. maybe we are doing something wrong. I will not buy one of these. I might just buy what my friend is buying. We're on our way now so I'll report back to let you know what's up.

11. TheCreeper macrumors member

just got back from the mall. i talked to a mac genius about the new AE and he did say a lot of them are being returned. But his excuse i guess is that it is an end user problem not hardware. but he confirmed a ton of them are being returned by the week. he said people are expecting too much and he claims I set the AE wrong and that I should have no problem with airdisk.

might be so but my friend returned his anyway and got a Linksys from Best Buy that was about $50 cheaper I think. He's currently setting it up with his 1TB HDD by Lacie. If it works I'll probably buy the same thing.

Any other coments on the new AE? I really would love to buy it but if it doesn't work correctly then what's the point.

12. Carpediem68 macrumors member

You should do whatever blows your hair back. That being said I am not an expert in networking and I really like the way the AE set up SO easily with my macs. As posted above I've had no problems at all with my AE disk mount using a 5400 rpm WD drive which I believe is 240G but not entirely certain.

The easy set up is easily worth the extra $50 to me. Also, I've had bad experiences with Linksys routers so I avoid those. This my first apple router so I guess we'll see.

13. duffsrp macrumors member

I have used all types of routers and access points and I agree Apple's are usually easy to set up. As is the case with my new AE. But the Air Disk and WDS network is giving me a problem. I'm going to keep it and work it out. But if anyone seems to solve the problem please let me know what you did.

14. Badabing! thread starter macrumors newbie

Wierd

Anyway, there is something strange going on here. Everything else with the AE is working just fine - except for the Lacie HD... And nobody seems to have an answer! Called Lacie and they blame Apple. Apple says nothing...

15. aristobrat macrumors G4

Have you guys thought about posting on Apple's discussion area for the Airport Extreme? Looks like you might be the first folks to post about this problem with the Lacie.

Are the Lacies you're using externally or bus powered?

16. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

I'm using a MicroNet MiniMate 500GB with my printer plugged into that. I have no idea who makes the HD inside it: no problems except that the AE won't let it spin down when it's not being used. But according to Apple Discussions, that's a software problem. The MiniMate is powered, but works as a hub even when it's turmed off.

17. TheCreeper macrumors member

my Lacie is not BUS powered and I just borrowed my other friends AE and so far its working but it unmounted just now for some reason. I was able to remount with no problems. i really want to buy the new AE but the main reason I want it is for airdisk.

again it could be my fault but i've done everything im supposed to.

18. bujjai2007 macrumors newbie

I took my AE to the local apple store (salem NH). They were helpful. but totally cluless on why my generic USB won't mount. The AE reboots when I either plug the drive in or try accessing it by entering the password. The same thing happens with one of their own USB 2.0 drives.
    They replaced the AE with a brand new one. We tried setting this up again and it would not recognize either of the drives. So in frustration, I returned the unit.
    I had a long chat with the apple tech support people on why Apple did not recommend a set of compatible drives. The answer was that the choises out there are varied.
    IMHO, looks like Apple pulled the trigger too quick in releasing this product out. I am either going for a linksys or will wait for the next generation. The concept of having a print server, network storage, wireless router all in a single package is very attractive. Apple should have done more testing before releasing this out. Very disappointed :(

19. aristobrat macrumors G4

Sorry it didn't work out ... it is extremely awesome!

My only complaints are that it doesn't let the USB drive sleep and that the write speeds are slower than expected, but other than that, I love it.

I'm using it with a Western Digital drive, a Samsung laser printer, and a no-name powered USB hub.

20. TheCreeper macrumors member

just an update, my friend's AE did not work out and I gave it back to him and he also returned his with some trouble with the store taking it back.

airdisk does not work properly and for me it was too slow when accessing it. i don't know, i did everything i felt was correct but got many "dismounting" probs. password issues, etc... my MB would not see the external Lacie. i can not recommened the new AE at this time. I'm going to get the Linksys as my other friend did and he has had ZERO issues. oh well.

not sure why some people have no issues. i'd buy one to see if it happens again but i'm not willing to drop that kinda $$$ to only have this happen a THIRD time.

21. bujjai2007 macrumors newbie

Which linksys did your friend buy ? Also, can he use the attached hard disk and does that work with iTunes ?

22. fcpguy macrumors member

fcpguy

I am having the same problem with a similar set-up.....went out and bought the AE, a new 250G Lacie drive and a high speed usb 2 hub....I just wanted to be able to share my itunes and printer with the rest of the house as well as some files....everything seems to work fine when I am not writing to it...go figure...but if I set itunes to down load some podcasts or anything else that requires heavy writing to the drive then it disconnects the drive and freezes itunes and sometimes the finder....no matter what, within 30 minutes of writing to the drive it craps out....I even had a file get corrupted on me last night while still trying to get it to work....luckily I still have the original, but that's not a good sign...I have scoured the internet over the last few days and have discovered a lot of people having the same problem...unfortunately no one has a solution...I have not called apple tech because I am hearing that people are getting the "not our fault and there's no problem" song and dance...clearly there is a problem and I am just holding out for a fix from apple. Keeping my fingers crossed that someone here figures it out, but I am not holding my breath until apple updates this thing. I am going to try one last round of things this evening....I'll let you guys know if I come across anything :confused:

23. jkrellner macrumors newbie

Lacie HD Woes

I'm having similar problems. The strange thing is when I first tried my Lacie Two big 1TB drive (setup at a raid 0 safe setting) it actually worked. I turned it off because it was not automatically going to sleep (another issue) and have not been able to get it working since. I've reset everything - no luck. Tried two other external USB hard drives - consistently work fine.

When I plug my Lacie drive in to my Airport Express it hangs up for several minutes "trying to ready airport configuration". After a while it times out and gives me an error that it cannot read the configuration. If I unplug the Lacie Drive I can get to and see the configuration. I've even tried doing this over ethernet vice over airport wireless network.

I'm not an expert on Lacie hardware - but I have noticed that when i plug my computer into my MPB it mounts two drives. One is 465GB disk (works fine) the other is a 1,204KB Configuration Disk that I cannot read, write, format or otherwise. Is this Lacie internal hardware that the Airport express is seeing, unable to recognize what is going on?

No explanation why it worked once... I have a tech support message to lacie asking what the 1024KB configuration disk is...

Attached Files:

24. TheCreeper macrumors member

so there is a problem with the AE regarding the Airdisk feature... I REALLY would love to get this wireless router to add to my set up at home but not yet. My friend got the Linksys N with all the antennas all over it. I haven't talked to him all week but i guess no news is good news. i'm not a fan of linksys as well as I always used an Apple router so... this is upsetting. I guess I'll get the AE anyway and hope that there is a firmware upgrade or some type of fix later on. i need a new router.

25. tonygeno macrumors newbie

Maxtor Airdisk problems

I don't own a LaCie HDD but two Maxtors (a 300GB and 1.5TB model set up as Raid 1) and both of them lose connection after 30 minutes to an hour. Frustrating as heck. Not sure if I'm going back to the Airport express and bring the new Extreme to the office. Hopefully there'll be a fix to this problem.