Airport Extreme & Linksys BEFW11S4 router

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by Pablo, Apr 2, 2003.

1. Pablo macrumors regular

My 17" PB will be here Friday. I've got a Windows network set up with a Linksys BEFW11S4 wireless router (80211.b). It works fine for my needs, and I'd rather not have to purchase another router...beit an AE base station or a Linksys 80211.g.

Anyone have any experiences with this combo? Should I have any problems with connectivity/wep enabling/etc?

2. howard macrumors 68020

howard

i've used my ibook all over the place with all sorts of routers...it just immediatly recognizes them and connects, you should definitely not have any problem whatsoever. just make sure that your airport card is turned on...its in your system prefs...but i think its on by default

3. hugemullens macrumors 6502a

hugemullens

You shouldn't have any problems, i've never dealt with AE but my old school airport works off any 802.11b router seemlessly and apple says that AE will also work with 802.11b, and apple will keep the simple and effortless interoperation i'm sure.

4. Pablo thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the input.

I guess I'll find out this weekend...

5. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

i had so much trouble with that ariport extreme card and that linksys router. it sucked so bad. i loved that linksys router but once i got my 12 inch powerbook it sucked majorly. i would get a connection and it woudl gradualy drop. even 1 foot away from the station. i have airport 3.0 installed when i did it too. oh well, i just ended up going to work and grabbing a base station off the shelf, but i do miss my linksys. my ae base station has only a couple things that made it better. looks better, easy setup and easy to administer(opening ports). and usb printer sharing. i got double the range on my linksys and it costs half the price.

iJon

6. Pablo thread starter macrumors regular

iJon,

Sounds like the same problems I had when setting it up (entirely a windows network). Whevever I enabled WEP, it would intermittently drop the signal. Turns out I had to enter the WEP key in hex.

I'll probably re-set the router, get the router set up with my Dell laptop, then see if I can get it working with the PB. If so, I'll start making changes as far as SSID, channel, WEP, etc.

If not, I'll probably try the Linksys 80211.g router before I go to the AE base station.

Thanks for the input.

7. monkeydo_jb macrumors 6502

My roommate just got his 17" Powerbook yesterday and we have the same router as you.

So far it has worked flawlessly with decent range (probably the same as my 1Ghz Tibook).
    Pretty soon, though, he's going to buy the Linksys-G router.

iJon, did you try upgrading the firmware in your Linksys router?

-jeff

8. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

yep i had the latest and i never enabled wep. i dont care though, for a couple of reasons i have like my ae base station. when we rewire my house soon because its getting warm im gonna try to get my linksys as an access point at the other end of my house, because my dad doenst get a good connection in his room. im sure there are some software things i needed to do to get it to work, i just didnt want to spend the time and i just got a ae base station. jus talk to the people here who have gotten it to work and you will be fine.

iJon