Airport Extreme + Linksys Hub

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by joshwest, Aug 21, 2006.

1. joshwest macrumors 65816

Apr 27, 2005
    Hey Guys I have some older macs that dont use airport (g3 333 w/ g4 500 sonnet upgrade) I was wondering can I plug my AE into the Linksys hub and send signal to both my g4 and to the Airport Extreme for Wirless... Was wanting to use the g4 as a music server can anyone help me out with this..?
  2. wyatt23 macrumors 6502a

Mar 7, 2006
    Forest Hills, NY
    i found this a while back. i think it may help. i was in similar situation as you.

however, i think you should ditch the wired router alltogether. i bought a wireless b router for 10 bucks and replaced my wired linksys. [i bought a g for 30 as well about 2 years ago.] i use an airport express to join the network, then use that as an access point/extended on my netgear wired/wireless network. i do that wirelessly. i think you can do that as well with the AEx.

in your case i beleive you can hook the extreme basestation to the wired router and then configure your AE to WDS.

wds is a built-in nice feature in apple routers that will [i believe] will join your network and use the wireless as an extension of your current network.

please if i'm wrong someone help me out.

IMO get a cheapy wireless router now and place your sexy basestation somewhere else in the house to show it off and use it as an access point.