Airport Extreme Modem Advice Wanted

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by a456, Jan 22, 2007.

1. a456 macrumors 6502a

a456

First of all, I do not understand why Airport Extreme does not come fitted with an ADSL or Cable Modem, or why failing that they do not offer one that fits neatly with AE, or even point to recommended modems on their website. This makes the whole thing a bit mysterious and for those who have never set up a wireless network somewhat confusing. However, the wireless printing and wireless hard drive facilities sound great. No more plugging in and pulling out USB leads as I move my laptop around the house.

My question is which ADSL modem is the best accompaniment for a UK buyer? Primary considerations being price and ease of use.

2. frenetic macrumors regular

I would buy the modem depending upon who your internet provider is... If it's cable you need a different modem than for an adsl provider. Also, providers seem to have preference for certain modems.

The airport extreme is just not a modem, it is a router or a bridge... different tools for different jobs. You are complaining your microwave doesn't record video.

Cheers,

Frenetic.