Airport Extreme (n) and External Hard Drive

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by kolax, Mar 20, 2007.

1. kolax macrumors G3

kolax

Managed to get all this setup within a matter of minutes - was fantastic. However, I'm concerned about my external drive; when plugged into my Mac, the drive automatically goes into a standby mode if inactive. This greatly preserve the lifespan of the drive and prevent other problems. Unfortunately, when connected with AirDisk, the drive never goes into standby mode.

Have I missed some sort of setting that allows this in the Airport Utility?

My hard drive is an Iomega 320Gb.

Cheers :)

2. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

No, this is what happens, as the AEBSn is not a computer. Actually, you're lucky to get it working at all.

3. kolax thread starter macrumors G3

kolax

Ahh right. So best thing to do is to turn the drive off when it's not being used?

What about unmounting the drive etc before I turn it off - does simply ejecting it from my Mac desktop (assuming no one else is connected) allow a safe turn off?

Reason for my concern is that I've already had to replace one of my external hard drives due to disc failure (either the fact that I left it on 24/7 or that it had a wee tumble).

4. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

That should work in theory. In my case, it did not. My drive would not mount again, then my printer disappeared.