Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kolax

macrumors G3
Original poster
Mar 20, 2007
Managed to get all this setup within a matter of minutes - was fantastic. However, I'm concerned about my external drive; when plugged into my Mac, the drive automatically goes into a standby mode if inactive. This greatly preserve the lifespan of the drive and prevent other problems. Unfortunately, when connected with AirDisk, the drive never goes into standby mode.

Have I missed some sort of setting that allows this in the Airport Utility?

My hard drive is an Iomega 320Gb.

Cheers :)

kolax

macrumors G3
Original poster
Mar 20, 2007
Ahh right. So best thing to do is to turn the drive off when it's not being used?

What about unmounting the drive etc before I turn it off - does simply ejecting it from my Mac desktop (assuming no one else is connected) allow a safe turn off?

Reason for my concern is that I've already had to replace one of my external hard drives due to disc failure (either the fact that I left it on 24/7 or that it had a wee tumble).

skunk

macrumors G4
Jun 29, 2002
Republic of Ukistan
Ahh right. So best thing to do is to turn the drive off when it's not being used?

What about unmounting the drive etc before I turn it off - does simply ejecting it from my Mac desktop (assuming no one else is connected) allow a safe turn off?

Reason for my concern is that I've already had to replace one of my external hard drives due to disc failure (either the fact that I left it on 24/7 or that it had a wee tumble).
That should work in theory. In my case, it did not. My drive would not mount again, then my printer disappeared.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.