Airport Extreme-N WDS problems

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by rontheancient, Mar 7, 2007.

1. rontheancient macrumors regular

I just bought a Airport Extreme, and I would like to extend the wireless of the Extreme with my existing Airport Express. I followed all the instructions for creating a WDS (Extreme as main, and Express as remote) but it still would not work. The Extreme just says that it cant see any WDS peers, and the Express is going on like nothing is happening. Do you guys have any pointers or suggestions?

Thanks

2. Patronus macrumors newbie

Tell us more. Do you have WEP or WPA enabled? Do they both have the same protocol and passwords? Did you set up WDS on the base first? Did you identify the Express to the base by number?

3. rontheancient thread starter macrumors regular

For both I have hidden the SSID, enabled a WPA2 Personal encryption, with the same password, but different network names. However, when I set both to the same network names, I cannot see the Express anymore in Airport Utility. I set up WDS on the base first, then the Express, and linked the Airport ID's of each base with each other.

4. aristobrat macrumors G4

What I ended up doing in a similar situation was to reset the Express by pressing the little reset button, letting it reboot, and then using the new AirPort Utility wizard on it to join an existing network.

It did all of the setup behind the scenes. I never could get it to work trying to do the setup manually like I did before in the old AirPort Utility.

Attached Files:

5. rontheancient thread starter macrumors regular

I just tried that, and it always says that it cannot detect any Airport networks. However, I do have some headway, I set the Express to bridge mode, and matched the wireless settings with those of the Extreme, and now the Express has a green light, but I dont think I am getting a signal off of it because 1) The signal strength is the same (60%) even if I hover the Airport Express over the laptop. 2) There is very little activity coming from the Express 3) The Extreme logs two clients (my PowerBook and the Express) but the Express also logs the Extreme as a client.