AirPort Extreme - No auto connect since 10.4.5

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by LimeiBook86, Mar 13, 2006.

1. LimeiBook86 macrumors 604

LimeiBook86

I have three Macs in my house that use the AirPort wireless technology to get online. I've upgraded them all to Mac OS X 10.4.5 a while ago. I first noticed the problem with my Intel iMac. Upon startup it wouldn't connect to a wireless network, I'd have to select it in the menu and connect to it myself. This also happened on my PowerBook and on my brother's iBook.

I find this odd that it's all happening since the 10.4.5 update. Is anyone else having any problems? I mean it's a slight annoyance and I can deal with it but, it's an issue I'd like to be fixed.

Any ideas? :confused:

2. Seasought macrumors 65816

Seasought

I'm encountering this too. My initial thought is that I need to play around with Keychain Access.

3. iGary Guest

iGary

I had the same problem.

It took a reformat and not uploading all the airport updates for it to work again.

Here you go.

4. LimeiBook86 thread starter macrumors 604

LimeiBook86

Oh boy...formating three machines isn't my idea of fun...:(

It may be a keychain problem...hmmmm :confused:

5. iGary Guest

iGary

I farked around with the keychains, tried to do it manually, do it from System Preferences...my iBook is still fracked up and I can't figure it out. I told the Genius Bar guy that it was an issue, but he was like "Well I can join our network just fine."

I said "Um, yeah, its an open network, try one with a WEP or WPA as the preferred network and see what happens..."

"Uh, we don't have one of those..."

I really dread even going in to our Apple Store anymore.

I guess we wait until enough people bitch for them to fix it in the next update. Is it just me or is Apple constantly fixing Airport issues? :confused:

6. IanC macrumors regular

Same problem here, with my ibook.

Happans when waking from sleep too.

7. LimeiBook86 thread starter macrumors 604

LimeiBook86

Yeah they seem to have a lot of updates recently, hopefully the next one will smash this bug. :D

8. calebjohnston macrumors 68000

calebjohnston

Strange, I haven't had this problem with my iBook, it's been working normally.

I hate how people at the genius bars give you those half-assed answers, igary. It's basically a "go away, I don't care" response. I've gotten them before. Grrr.

9. iYooper macrumors member

My iMac G5 had problems connecting to Apple Extreme, so I downloaded that patch a couple of weeks ago. No problem until this morning! Go figure. I had to re-boot 3 times, and finally got a connection that has been on for an hour so far.
    I think it may have to do with the sleep function. Yesterday, I charged my wife's iPod, and I have to "never" the disk sleep in order to do that. I reset it to sleep in an hour this morning.
    This whole apple extreme/connection problem gets me frustrated! I know the apple extreme is working, cuz my wife's Dell stays connected just fine, as does my MacBook Pro.