Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rfinger

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 3, 2004
OK. I haven't been able to find the settings for this, and I don't know how to prevent this. But, I need some help.

I just got an iBook not too long ago, one of the 1.2 gHz ones with the Airport Extreme built in. It is absolutely great. But, I'm running into two things. First, I'm noticing that this thing, for some reason, does not connect to any networks automatically when it starts up. Why is that? I have a preferred network that I have it already set up with in my house, but I have to manually go over to the airport menu each time and tell it to connect. Why is that? Also, when it goes to sleep, it disconnects, even if it's only been asleep for about 5 minutes, and it doesn't reconnect me. Does anyone know how to change this from happening? PLease let me know.

Thanks!!!!

mac_gal

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2004
The auto-connect thing is really easy to fix.

I'm not in front of my Mac right now, but hopefully this can get you on your way ...

Go to Finder > Applications > System Preferences

Go to Network (hmm, or something similarily named ... Internet?)

A window will come up. In the center of that window is a pull-down menu with types of network connections you can have ... Ethernet, Airport, etc.

Pick Airport. Look at the different settings. There will be a checkbox that says something like "Automatically Connect"

emw

macrumors G4
Aug 2, 2004
A couple of things...

First, I believe if when you login (if a password is required), use "Add to Keychain" to automatically reconnect.

If that doesn't work, also make sure that in your Network Preferences your wireless connection is set to connect Automatically, and not to a specific network.

EMKoper

macrumors regular
Dec 18, 2002
Orlando, FL
Similar Problem...

Sorry to rehash an old thread, but I am having a similar problem and the listed suggestions are not correcting the behavior.

This recently started after I began detecting my neighbor's wireless LAN in my airport menu bar pull-down list. Sometimes, when no other LAN is detected, the PB will automatically connect but will not if there are multiple LANs present.

Any suggestions?

I am running 10.3.6 ....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.