Airport Extreme "not present" on a PowerBook 17" 1GHz 2003

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Laurent, Apr 4, 2005.

1. Laurent macrumors regular

Laurent

I received an old PowerBook 17" 1GHz (January 2003 version) from my boss today, and the Airport Extreme card is "not present" even when I run the Hardware Test disc that came with it. Never did the Airport function has been used with this computer, but I am assuming that the bundled card is there. Did this incident ever occured to you? Can you help me out?

2. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

Perhaps there isn't one installed? Or it has come loose and needs to be reseated? :confused:

Just open her up and check.

3. Laurent thread starter macrumors regular

Laurent

Could it be the fact that I reinstall OS X using Mac OS X discs instead of the disc that came with the PowerBook? I did the necessarly updates thought...

Airport Extreme is bundled in that model. It's not just a card that you can install/remove from a slot.

4. LeeTom macrumors 68000

LeeTom

It may have come bundled with that computer, but it is definitely a card that you can remove from a slot. I believe on the 17" Powerbook the slot is under the battery. If the Hardware Test is showing "not present", then most likely it is not there, or it is not inserted completely. Take out the battery and give it a check.

EDIT: This PDF from Apple shows you where to look.

5. alexprice macrumors 6502a

Remove the battery, then remove the ram cover, you will see a orange ribbon cable that connects the Airport card to the logic board. GENTLY check that the cable is fully connected, if it is, very gently separate the connectors one side at a time, then reseat.

If this fails the card has probably had it. It is not a standard Airport card that can be easily replaced, the card has the ribbon cable permanently attached to it. I would recommend taking to an Apple Authorised Service Provider to get a quote, if its too expensive get a Mac Belkin wireless PC card to go in the slot on the side.

Hope this helps a bit.

Alex

6. Laurent thread starter macrumors regular

Laurent

That's what I meant by "bundled". It's not just an add on, it's directy soldered to the motherboard... Thanks anyway...