Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RBMaraman

macrumors 65816
Jul 25, 2002
New Albany, IN
marknicholls said:
with it work at all? as just 11mb rather than 54mb?

It's not the right card for your iMac. You need an AirPort Card, not an AirPort Extreme Card. The extreme card will not, in any way shape or form, fit into your iMac's AirPort card slot. You must get an original AirPort Card, which operates at 11mb and is compatible with both 11mb and 54mb networks (B & G). Just so you know, this will bring down the speed of the network to 11mb. There is no work around for this.

Rod Rod

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2003
Las Vegas, NV
If having G speeds on your home network is important to you, I recommend getting one of those wireless-G USB network adapters. They work with Macs.

The thing is if you have both B and G devices on the same network the whole thing slows down to B. In my house I keep it G only. Although the internet connection itself is much slower than even B, I get better responsiveness online with G.

Littleodie914

macrumors 68000
Jun 9, 2004
Rochester, NY
marknicholls said:
Thats bloody annoying!

Can anyone confirm exactly what i need to order so i dont make another mistake

Many Thanks
Like RBMaraman said, you need an Airport Card. Apple manufactured two different types of cards, an Airport and an Airport Extreme. What you need is an original Airport card. Apple has unfortunately discontinued production, but you can find them on eBay for about $80-$90. They're not really worth that much, but they're a bit rare these days. If you don't want to spend quite that much, you might want to look into a USB dongle wireless... thing... Just head over to your local Best Buy, you'll see what I mean. If you do opt for this solution, don't, I repeat DON'T get a D-Link DWL-122. The connection drops randomly and frequently, and it causes kernel panics when you unplug it.

marknicholls

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 7, 2004
Bristol, England
Thanks Littleodie914

Can anyone confirm what dongle will work? is it not best to stay with a card that apple have made?

54MBPS is not important to me - 11mpbs was fine on my powerbook

jemeinc

macrumors 6502a
Feb 14, 2004
South Jersey
I just bought an Airport card for my 800MHZ iMac a month & a half ago at my local Apple Store... They gave no indication they were rare - in fact they just pulled it off the shelf for me...

Rod Rod

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2003
Las Vegas, NV
iGary said:
Does Apple sell these (AirPort, non Extreme) anymore?

I just want a rendezvous connection between my iBook and Powermac

Yes... well maybe no

From this page
http://www.apple.com/airportextreme/specs.html

. . . it seems like they sell the original Airport card, because there's a picture of it and this link:
http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore?partNumber=M7600LL/E

. . . but when you follow that link all you get is the Apple online store front page.

The word is Apple still sells Airport cards as service parts and they cost about $120. Go to expercom.com and get one for $79.

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
Rod Rod said:
Yes... well maybe no

From this page
http://www.apple.com/airportextreme/specs.html

. . . it seems like they sell the original Airport card, because there's a picture of it and this link:
http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore?partNumber=M7600LL/E

. . . but when you follow that link all you get is the Apple online store front page.

The word is Apple still sells Airport cards as service parts and they cost about $120. Go to expercom.com and get one for $79.

Thanks!

jemeinc

macrumors 6502a
Feb 14, 2004
South Jersey
Rod Rod said:

This must be really recent- I just bought an Airport card for $79.00 in late November at an Apple store...

marknicholls

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 7, 2004
Bristol, England
Some peole are telling me i need to buy an airport card and an adapter, and others are telling me i just need the airport card. Can anyone pls clarify what it is i need!!

Thnx

Rod Rod

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2003
Las Vegas, NV
jemeinc said:
This must be really recent- I just bought an Airport card for $79.00 in late November at an Apple store...

You lucked out. Most other stores have totally sold out of 802.11b Airport cards long ago.

marknicholls said:
Some peole are telling me i need to buy an airport card and an adapter, and others are telling me i just need the airport card. Can anyone pls clarify what it is i need!!

Thnx

You'd need an adapter if you had a CRT iMac. But you have a flat-panel iMac, and you do not need an adapter. The Airport card will fit perfectly fine by itself. Open up the bottom of your iMac and check it out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.