Airport Extreme Optimal Placement Tips.

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by rjlull, Jan 2, 2007.

1. rjlull macrumors newbie

Jan 2, 2007
    Any insightful suggestions for optimal Airport Extreme Base Station placement to obtain maximum performance?

I plan on placing one in a poured concrete basement with hopes that it would project upwards through a wooden floor. There are some metal I-beams, metal posts, a 2.4 gHz phone and metal pipes/heating ducts within the area. Would these have a significant effect on performance?

Thanks for any help.
  2. Reflow macrumors 68000

Mar 30, 2005
    Buy an external antenna if it supports one. Or as for the location I would put it above the rafters in your basement or in the center of the room. For the cordless phone I would ditch it because of the interference it will cause
  3. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Apr 3, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia
    It'll struggle. Can you run a wire to the base station and leave it outside of the bunker?
  4. wcroninger macrumors newbie

Jan 3, 2007
    Airport placement

You describe a placement almost identical to ours! :) We have an airport extreme in a poured basement, double-wide, mobile home sitting on that. Three total machines access the station at any given time. The iMac in the basement, approximately 15 feet away maintains a solid connection as does the eMac upstairs. That one would be roughly above the iMac. This mobile has additions outside the concrete walls of the basementand access from these areas can be problematic. The 3rd machine, a MacBook Pro will occasionally gain/lose/regain connection when used in the additions. Hope this helps somewhat.