Airport Extreme or Airport Express??

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by jaeshellz, Jul 11, 2004.

1. jaeshellz macrumors member

Sup guyz, ya favorite newbie here once again. I have a question, I want to make my powerbook wireless @ my crib so should I get the airport extreme or airport express? Can somebody explain to me the differences besides that airtunes i'm hearing about. which one is better and what kind of range do they have?

thanx alot fam.

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

AirPort Express is identical to AirPort Extreme in all categories except size of base station, support for AirTunes, and support for use on-the-go. Range, ability to extend existing networks, and standards support are all identical between the two.

3. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

Actually, Express lacks the ability to have two ethernet connections to it (WAN and LAN), and can only route to 10 users versus Extreme's 50. But in your case I think Express will be just fine. I doubt you need to connect over 10 users, and if you don't have computers that don't have wireless, Express is perfect for you.

4. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Thanks Raven VII, I forgot about those differences. I agree, though - for your (jaeshellz) use AirPort Express is probably the best choice.

5. zakee00 macrumors regular

zakee00

yeah, airport express is a really sweet product. i have AE, and i need it becasue my dell desktop dosnt have a wifi card so i hook it up to the lan port on the base station. with airport express, i cant do that so i would have to spring for a wifi card. but in your case, airport express will be sweet homie :D

6. jaeshellz thread starter macrumors member

wow thanx for the info guys. Yea i wass thinking Express, I just thought that since Extreme was so much bigger that it would have more range but it looks as if its practically the same.

One more question, I'm gonna get the express tomorrow. Lets say if I take it next door to my friends house, he has a optimum online, can I take the express over there and still use it with my laptop. I have a dsl connection.

7. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

As long as you can get the AirPort Express base station connected via Ethernet to your friend's network (assuming one exists), then yes it will work. If your friend has only one computer and connects directly, or if your friend uses one of those broadband USB modems, then no, it won't work.