Airport Extreme & Partitioned Drives

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by MRU, Feb 8, 2007.

1. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Does the new Airport Basestation support usb drives that are paritioned into smaller partitions ? i.e. I have 320gb hdd, which is partitioned into 3 ?

Thanks

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

The manuals are online here but I can't find an answer in them.

I would guess it would appear as 3 shares but it's just a total guess...

3. MacDonaldsd macrumors 65816

MacDonaldsd

I was wondering this as I would like to use 1 harddrive partitioned into two, one partition for media the other for time machine

This is obviously once leopard has been released

4. MRU thread starter macrumors demi-god

MRU

Well my airport is shipped and will be here monday. So I'll be able to post and let you know for sure :)

5. MRU thread starter macrumors demi-god

MRU

^ Well it arrived and yes it works with partitioned drives.

6. iW00t macrumors 68040

iW00t

7. Kelmon macrumors 6502a

Kelmon

More or less, yes. I setup my Extreme last night with a 320Gb Iomega MiniMax that was also received in the same order. When the system (with drive plugged in) was started up after I had loaded the drivers and utilities for the Airport Extreme the disk was connected with the full 300Gb capacity. However, I discovered that I wasn't able to partition the drive over the network so I attached it directly to the MacBook Pro via FireWire and set 2 partitions on it using Disk Utility (first time I've used it for partitioning). Anyway, when the disk was reconnected to the router it didn't recognise the hard drive connected to it and this caused all sorts of issues over the next hour. In the end, however, turning the Airport Extreme off (a software restart doesn't work) did finally resolve the issue so now I see 2 network locations when I connect to the Airport Extreme.

The moral of this story: turn off the Airport Extreme before connecting a disk drive to it.

8. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Mine works fine with a partitioned drive, backing up a different Mac to each partition, although Apple say they do not officially support this functionality, for some reason.

9. TheCreeper macrumors member

my friend just got his and he is having some problems. he has to reboot his MB to get his external Lacie to mount. I was going to buy one last night but my friend told me its not worth it and he's having a lot of problems with the 'airdisk'.

Another friend bought his for printing and he said that he just tried hooking up his external USB HDD and is having the same mounting problems. His MB Pro crashes!

I really want to buy one but my main use is to share my 500GB drive with the other macs on my network... printing wirelessly is another bonus but i guess i'd need a hub