AirPort Extreme Problem

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by GaseousPlatypus, Nov 1, 2004.

1. GaseousPlatypus macrumors member

Jul 8, 2004
    My AirPort Extreme continually resets my IP address to something along the lines of (which won't let me access the internet). Any ideas on how to fix this?

2. daveL macrumors 68020

Jun 18, 2003
    I assume you mean an Airport Extreme base station? The ip address you are getting ( should be coming from the DHCP server in the base station, unless you have another router. In any case 10.x.x.x addresses (and 192.168.x.x and a couple others I can't recall at the moment) are reserved ip addresses that are not supposed to route outside your local net. This is a feature, not a bug, and these ip addresses are used for security reasons.

Why are you saying the ip address won't let you access the Internet? You should have a "public" ip address, that your ISP assigned to you, that is configured on your AE base station for the Internet connection (DSL, cable modem). Then the AE base station assigns the 10.x.x.x (or similar) reserved ip address to systems on your internal network. The base station then uses NAT to map the single external ip address from your ISP to/from your internal ip addresses.

Maybe I misunderstood your problem?
  3. GaseousPlatypus thread starter macrumors member

Jul 8, 2004
    Well, usually when surfing I have a regular IP address ( kinds thing) but every once in a while (more often recently, it seems :mad: ) it assigns me one of those addresses randomly, and once I've got one of those addresses I can't do anything online until I go into the system prefs and renew my DHCP lease, which gives me a looking address again.
  4. GaseousPlatypus thread starter macrumors member

Jul 8, 2004
  5. mattmook macrumors member

Oct 31, 2004
    St Albans, UK
    If you can be a bit more specific over your exact hardware setup... i.e. what the wireless base station is connected to and how you are connected to the internet we may be able to help.

The most likely thing I can currently think of is that both your modem/router and the airport are setup as dhcp servers. One solution may be to turn off the DHCP server from within the airport station by using the AirPort Admin Utility, located in /Application/Utilities.
  6. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

Oct 15, 2003
    The soggy side of the Pacific NW
    Have you hard-set your IP address? If you're going through the Airport Extreme, normally you'd just use DHCP to let the AE set your IP address, DNS server, etc. (as daveL explained) - so getting to the net shouldn't be an issue with a 10.x.x.x address.

In other words, where are you getting your 65.49.x.x address from?